Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The syntax of the command is incorrect.

• Please log in to reply

ChloeGirldie

ChloeGirldie

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, I'm not sure what kind of problem this is but I'm not sure where else to post it. I'm on my HP laptop which has Vista and I'm just starting to have this problem. I'm getting a command prompt window popping up every 5-7 seconds. It says "The syntax of the command is incorrect." I have not installed anything new recently, and I already tried rebooting. The only other thing I can kind of see relevent is that my wireless internet could not connect for the past couple of days (my roommate still gets wireless on her computer). For some reason it seems like it just went out so I'm connected through a cable.

Now I get this window popping up every 5 seconds. It' not enough to really annoy me or not be able to use the computer, but I don't know why it's there and i can't seem to find its source. If you need any other information please let me know, I want to be able to fix this!

Thanks so much,
Dana

P.S. Here is an attachment of the window...I caught it before it disappeared: syntax_error.jpg

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Dana
That is an odd one.
The first step I woud take is to try a system restore to a day or two before your wireless opted out.

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking System Restore.‍ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Follow the prompts to restore. You will not loose any data and system restore can be undone to where you are now if you only do it once.
NoteBefore you start System Restore, save any open files and close all programs. System Restore will restart your computer.

Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 19 September 2007 - 08:23 PM.

ChloeGirldie

ChloeGirldie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, well at first it seemed like System Restore worked. But about 5 minutes in the window started popping up again. It's so annoying! I don't know what else to do!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
So after system Restore did the wirless work and is the wireless still working ?
I am trying to see if the 2 relate
Cheers
Peterm

ChloeGirldie

ChloeGirldie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just tried using my wireless and success!!! I am on wireless right now but the window is still continuously popping up on me. I feel like this isn't a very common problem and I just can't see what could've gone wrong.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok wireless works - good
Pop up still happens.
Have you added any software or upgrades recently ?
also can you press CTRL ALT DEL alltogether and bring up task manager then have a look at what applications are running
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 21 September 2007 - 01:51 AM.

ChloeGirldie

ChloeGirldie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, I have no idea how this happened but I stayed up until 4 am last night finishing some work and the window just stops popping up! I have no idea if it was ever related to the wireless problem, and I didn't do anything different, but it is now gone! I don't know what you did, but thank you VERY much!

-Dana

ChloeGirldie

ChloeGirldie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, so it's been one week since my blinking window problem went away. Today I came home and I see the window again!! I don't know what happened differently to make it start up again. This is SO FRUSTRATING!!

Any ideas? I'm so confused!
Thanks so much,

Dana

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Dana
In my sig there is a link to code stuff starter
Please download. extract and run.
Click on the startup tab then click on registry.
On your keyboard press print screen(top near F12). Open paint and paste.
Save the file as jpeg and attach to your next post.
Cheers
peterm

ChloeGirldie

ChloeGirldie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I don't think your link is working correctly...although the windows did stop again. I would like to download that, though, in case this seems to be a weekly occurance.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Try this link - it points to different mirrors
Pick a mirror near you. If that does not work pick another one
Click on me

ChloeGirldie

ChloeGirldie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Registry.jpg

I think I did this right...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Yes you did that correctly
Ok now we have to wait untill you get the popup again and do the same.
That way I can see if another program is trying to run

nevillefam

nevillefam

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
I have the same problem with the window popping up at regular intervals. Was the problem resolved? If yes, would you be willing to help me as well? I also have a HP laptop (pavilion dv2000). This is the second time this has happended to me. The first time the problem stopped as mysteriously as it started. Now it's back!
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I would be most grateful.
Diane

PaulaW

PaulaW

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I can't seem to see a resolution to this problem, but I am getting the same message, flashing every 5 secs and it's driving me nuts.

In the grey bar at the top of the black box it reads c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.

I read at another website to delete this file, will this cause problems to my computer, or do you have a better solution.

Thanks

Paula