Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Auto-Backup Software

• Please log in to reply

jdimauro

jdimauro

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello-
I'm looking for an automated backup application that allows the archive to be stored to a drive on our network.
Sounds simple right? The only other option I'm looking for is the ability to password protect certain folders.

I don't really care if the password applies to a "copied" folder or if it's a .zip. However, I do not want to have to use the software to extract or restore the file.

GOAL: At 6:00, the backup scheduler launchs, copies the folders to a network drive. I go to the drive, click the folder. It asks for a password. I enter it and it opens or self-extracts.

I've downloaded (4) demos and none of them can accomplish this simple request?
BackZip, Cryptofile, AutoBackUP, Double Safety, MS Backup Utility.

HELP! This forum has been a fountain of knowledge for me! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanx-
Joey

Advertisements

jdimauro

jdimauro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Is "applications" the right place in this forum to post this type of question?
If not, suggestions, please.

Thanx again-
Joey

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
#1 is this a domain or a workgroup kind of network
#2 why is password protecting the backup critical?

jdimauro

jdimauro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanx for the response.
#1 is this a domain or a workgroup kind of network: Workgroup

#2 why is password protecting the backup critical?: Because the drive(s) are also used as storage for live files, so they are "public". I don't want "public" access to certain files, but I don't want to have to manually set these permissions on a daily basis.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Try Acronis True Image, it allows to makes scheduled backups and password folders in archive. There are some information from user guide:
"An archive can be protected with a password. To protect the archive from being restored by
anybody except you, enter a password and its confirmation in the text fields. A password
should consist of at least eight symbols and contain both letters (upper and lower case,
preferably) and numbers to make it more difficult to guess.
If you try to restore data from a password-protected archive, or append an
incremental/differential backup to such an archive, Acronis True Image Home will ask for the
password in a special window, allowing access only to authorized users."

True Image has free trial version and there is just released 11 version.

jdimauro

jdimauro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanx! I'll check it out, but it sounds like I need their software to restore. Ideally, I'd like a self-extracting .zip so if I'm on the road, I won't have to worry that I don't have that software loaded.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Thanx! I'll check it out, but it sounds like I need their software to restore. Ideally, I'd like a self-extracting .zip so if I'm on the road, I won't have to worry that I don't have that software loaded.

the only way for you to issue a back up and not have to worry about the software needed to restore would be to either use a zip program to copy the files into an archive

OR

to use windows backup.....all other backup utilities are going to require you to use them to "restsore" the backup