Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Screen saver/logging off causes internet problems

• Please log in to reply

Nilla

Nilla

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hello,
I recently have been having an odd problem. When I am done using my computer my screen saver turns on or I log off. Later when I want to use my computer again, I wiggle the mouse to stop the screen saver or log back in. Also I have my screen saver password protected (not sure if this makes a difference). Anyway, after I get back on my computer my web browser will not connect to the Internet. I have tried IE and Firefox but neither will load a page. It takes 3 to 5 minutes for the browser to say that it can't load. What is odd is that if I try to update my anti-virus software or play an online based game, these all work. Its just the browsers that wont work. I have tried to repair the connection, log off and log back on, switch to a wireless connection but nothing works. The only solution I have found is to restart my computer and then everything works normally again. This has started to become a pain. Any ideas? Thanks!

Edit: Also, I am using Windows XP Home edition.

Edited by Nilla, 19 September 2007 - 05:11 PM.

Advertisements

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I just found out that if I also leave my computer and let it idle for a few hours (without the screen saver on, or logging off), my web browsers wont connect to the Internet. I had to restart the computer and, poof, the web browsers connect again. :wave:

Any help? :)

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I think I have found the source of my problem. I think that it is ZoneAlarm. I was away from my computer for a few hours and again the web browsers wouldn't connect to the Internet. I tried shutting down ZoneAlarm and then everything seems to be working again. However, when I load ZoneAlarm back up, the Internet wont work again. Do I have to change some setting on ZoneAlarm? Any suggestions out there? Thanks!