Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

too much stuff

• Please log in to reply

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
:tazz: I have too many things going at start-up ( and running in the background all the time). I have tried to us MSCONFIG to no avail. I have run spyware scans and virus scans and all seems to be well. Someone... please help me. I'm so confused. thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
then it would be pretty much a question of choice...what do you want to run at start up? What do you not want to run at start up?

Not sure I am following you....I mean, we can make suggestions about what we would do if we knew what was on your system as far as necesary or not....

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
If I knew how to get the info from the msconfig to this forum, I'd be happy to show what's checked for start-up, as well as what processes are running in the background all the time. A lot of it appears to be necessary, and then there's the stuff with my McAfee programs.

I'm not super challenged with the computer. I just haven't come across this problem yet. Been playing with this thing for almost 3 years now.

Thanks for any and all help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Post a hijackthis log....

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
what is and how do i post a hijackthis log? thanks

cobhcf

cobhcf

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hijack this is a hijacker detecter and removal program. You can get the program from this location:

http://www.merijn.org/downloads.html

After u have installed the program, open it and click scan. After the scan has completed, save a log file and post it here.

Cheers! :tazz:

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
thanks for your help, i'll try that

i just installed a program that porbably cost too much, but it detected 33 threats and removed them.

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I was unable to get the hijack this because I couldn't open the zip. Anyhow, I still have too many processes running in the background. I'll have to get my daughter-in-law to take a look this week. She can also look at the start-up.

Thanks for all your help. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Why cannot you open the zip? What happens?

Sounds like several things are going on here.

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I've tried on numerous occassions to open zips and have not been able to do so. I am probably doing something wrong. And yes, there are probably more things going on in this machine than I am able to deal with. I've gotten through many obstacles before, but this seems beyond me. :tazz: Thanks for all your help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I suspect it is just a association issue.

download the following third party app and run it...it will associate ZIPS on setup
http://www.tugzip.com/

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Things seem to be working better now. About a month ago, thru McAfee, I installed a 'quick clean' (which isn't any better than my usual routine) and something called 'PC Booster'. When I do the booster thing, the computer works better.

I haven't had a chance to check out that 'tugsip' link yet, but will at some point today.

While I was browsing other forums, I noticed a similiar issue on my computer. I, too, have several 'svchost' listed. I'm going to try to get a list and put it in one of those forums.

Thanks, gerry, for all your help. :tazz:

Dalek

Dalek

• Pip
  • 5 posts
If you want a small app to manage your startups without going through MSCONFIG, try this from WWW.Mlin.net, also if you want to know what processes are okay and which are not check out http://www.liutiliti...slibrary/nvsvc/

You can also check this site for useful info. http://www.pacs-port...artup_index.htm

Luck

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
:tazz: I'm back again. Everything was going very well for a short time. When I left the house this morning all was well. When I returned this afternoon something must have snuck in when I wasn't looking. (I'm the only user on this computer) Anyhow, I finally got the hijack this scan. Now where do I post it? Here or in another topic? I have it saved on a notepad and will keep it handy till I get a reply. I did a virus scan and 3 spy/ad scans also. Thank you.

BePro

BePro

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
My favourite utility for controlling applications upon startup is called Startup Cop.

This program is a very easy to use startup app, with a friendly GUI.

This is not the Startup Cop program listed in the PCMag site. I cannot find a webpage for this program, so I will post it at a later time when I find it, or, I will upload the program itself.