Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Complete Freeze of Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Tuscany

Tuscany

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Currently, my computer randomly freezes - completely. It isn't an overload of the computer - even when I simply leave the computer idle, it will suddenly freeze, including the mouse. I cannot move the mouse and the keyboard is non-responsive. So far, I haven't found a pattern for it - it happens whenever it feels like it.

I have tried correcting the registry, cleaning the registry.

I have scanned for viruses and other malware with the latest updates of AVG and Avast! (Both are running on my computer)

I have de-fragged.

Specs:
Dell 2.0 GHZ (5 Years Old)
NVidia 64 MB

I don't know what information I should provide but if you need it I can probably provide it.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
If you have both AVG and Avast running on your system, that is likely the cause of the freeze. Only one should be active. You can scan with as many as you like, but more than one active anti-virus program will cause lock-ups and often is much less effective protection than just one fully updated application by itself. Choose one, and remove the other.

Tuscany

Tuscany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for the quick response!

Which you would say is the better anti-virus program?

And, assuming I have the money, which is the best anti-virus program to use? Which one do you use?

EDIT:
My computer froze 2 minutes after turning off the second anti-virus program. I have a feeling the anti-virus programs and the freeze are unrelated. It is random as far as I can tell.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Tuscany, 19 September 2007 - 08:34 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I use AVG free behind the Comodo Firewall supported by the full paid version of A-Squared Anti-malware. I would choose whichever of the two feels more comfortable to you. They are both good.

For paid anti-virus protection, right now NOD32 is getting the best marks followed closely by Kaspersky.

Tuscany

Tuscany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry. Thank you for the anti-virus information, but the original problem arose again.

If you didn't get this, while posting. This occurred after my pre-mature post just before yours.

EDIT:
My computer froze 2 minutes after turning off the second anti-virus program. I have a feeling the anti-virus programs and the freeze are unrelated. It is random as far as I can tell.

Any help would be appreciated.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I suggest that you not just "turn it Off", but actually Un-install it. Most anti-virus programs have background processes and services that run even when the interface is shut down. Try uninstalling and then rebooting.

Tuscany

Tuscany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did completely uninstall Avast!, and it happened again moments after rebooting.

Currently, I only have Firefox and AVG running.

EDIT:
Happened again.
It could be related to my computer RAM or resources. My computer seems to be constantly "making noise" AKA "doing something" even when I am doing relatively nothing, or something that should not consume as many resources as it should.

Firefox seems to be using up a lot. Even with only two tabs open - this forum and YouTube, it spikes to 50 MB!

It makes a lot of noise (that deep, intensive, crunching noise) even when it tries to open My Computer.

Do you think it might be internal?

EDIT 2:
A look at the Task Manager and I see that my CPU usage is always above 60%. Could be a virus my software hasn't found? Some form of malware?

Edited by Tuscany, 19 September 2007 - 09:37 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Ouch! This sounds like hard drive failure. Right now your main concern should be to get all your valuable data: documents, photos, saved files, anything you can't re-download onto CDs or an external drive as fast as you can.

If you are not comfortable with the idea of replacing your hard drive yourself, this is one of those times to take it to the shop. Not a big chain! Find a local computer shop with a history of good service and pay the price for professional help. They can replace the hard drive and image over your operating system to avoid re-install. A good shop will give you an estimate before-hand, and take time to talk to you about your options.

Tuscany

Tuscany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Is there no software that can do a disk check for errors?

Thanks a bunch for the help already.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Yes, there is. But software errors, or surface problems with a disc do not cause it to make noise. This is mechanical. A problem with the machine itself.

Advertisements

Tuscany

Tuscany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Currently, I have no access to local or retail computer shops, so I want to test to my options, since I have backed up the necessary software.

The system, when frozen, is actually not a complete stop. It runs into an infinite loop - as in, if it freezes while playing music, the music doesn't stop, it continuously plays the same 0.5 seconds of the song in a rapid fire sound. Anything to do about infinite loops?

Tuscany

Tuscany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
*BUMP*

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Sorry, tuscany. Having a very busy time in real life right now.
It is possible that your noise is a fan. Open the computer case up and check to see if a fan is scraping. Do be careful in there. Always ground yourself against some bare metal of the computer's frame before touching anything to avoid static electricity.

I still think it is mechanical hard drive failure, but you may get some mileage from checkdisk.
Open "My Computer" and right click the hard drive. This is usually C:\.
Select Properties. In the dialog that opens, choose the Tools tab, and push the button labeled: Check Now. Then mark both the boxes that appear, and click Start.

Windows will anounce that the disc is being used right now and can't be checked. Do you want to do the check at next boot? Yes. Reboot.

Your computer will start with a black screen with white writing that explains the remarkably slow progress that CheckDisk is making. AND it has several steps. Please be patient.
Windows will check the surface of the hard drive for errors and "bad" sectors, and repair everything it can. When it is done, Windows will boot normally.

Tuscany

Tuscany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you so much. That did the trick.
Best of luck with your troubles.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Glad to be of service. :-)

Do have that noise checked out asap, ok?