Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

FPS issues

• Please log in to reply

lpchris85

lpchris85

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
on my new machine i just built i put alot of higher end parts on it for gaming, nothing too high end but enough that i figured it would be satisfactory.
heres my parts:

athlon 3800+
3gb ram
160 HDD
EVGA 8800GTS 320mb
Vista home premium

the problem i am having is that when i play most games my FPS seem to be very low compared to that of my friends computer which has 2 gb of ram, a dual core athlon 4200, and an older x850 radeon. on CS:source he gets over 100 FPS and i score about 69 fps. On half life 2: lost coast i score about 35 fps which is very bad for playing that game and becomes very distracting at times.

i first figured it was drivers and Nvidia just released the newest one for the 8 series last night and dld it. didnt change anything.

my question is, could a dual core processor really be the difference hear, I was under the impression single was still prefered? every detail setting defaults to "high" on every game i play so i figured i could have good performance with this build. I just dont know what the answer is. could anybody help? it would be very much appreciated.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there Ipchris85! I'm not too sure about the processor, but I would assume the X2 (dual-core) would be much better. What I'm wondering is what Power Supply do you have? Are you able to post a link to the make/model or post a picture of the sticker on the side? If your power supply isn't putting enough out for the 8800GTS, then it could be the cause of all your problems.

Cheers :)

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
hmm never considered that since everything is brand new. i'll try to find a link to it, but I bought it from newegg. it is made by Thermaltake, and its a 600w sli compatible psu, so i figured it would have plenty of juice.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you are running an Athlon 64 3800+ and your friend is running an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ then the FPS difference is about right. You can check out a comparsion of those two CPUs on Tom's Hardware: Tom's Hardware CPU Charts. The Athlon 64 X2s are very nice chips for their cost.

Edit: You CPU actually did beat the X2 on one game, Unreal Tourney 2004. It was the only single core in the top 20. Also Purepower and Toughpower series Thermaltakes support SLI. If you have one of those than the PSU is good.

Edited by Titan8990, 20 September 2007 - 01:58 PM.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i still wonder why such a build lags so much when running games like HL:2 and FEAR. it could be that the 8800 GTS 320 is a little underpowered than what i had expected. i upgraded from a 7900 GTOC

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Which PSU do you have exactly?

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
heres a link on newegg for my psu http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153042 its a thermaltake purepower 600w