Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help to create a website with forums

• Please log in to reply

macko01

macko01

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello i need help to make a website as it says in topic name ^^^^^.

What is the best website creator althought i have no credit card or anything so it has to be free :wave:

The website is for a game called Habbo its like a website for group im in.

I also want to be able to put a forum on it and i need help with that also.

Please help :) thank you

:) macko01

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
The best website creator is Notepad and a basic understanding of HTML and CSS. That might sound facetious, but it is the truth. The easy way is not always the best way. Spend some time learning how HTML works, look at the source (but do not copy) of other sites to gain a further understanding, then experiment with your own site.

As for forums there are TONS of free ones that work rather well; PunBB, SMF, phpBB2, etc. You can visit http://www.opensourcecms.com/ and then expand the Forum tree to find a listing and demo of a TON of forum packages.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you are at a total lost for knowing HTML and CSS, you might try a free WYSIWYG editor called NVU. Since you want free, then that means your hosting site is going to be free and with banners/ads on it put there by the host's server. You can get a very good free hosting service, but you have to pay to get your domain name through them. If you can live with banners/ads and want Web Tools provided free, the Bravenet.com is a good place to start. You can always convert to a paid hosting later when you want. It has forums you can install, as well as, other neat tools to use.

Once you have learned HTML and CSS well enough, I would convert to using an editor like Matrix Y2K or Ace HTML 6 Pro. Fot multiple file uploads/downloads I recommend the free SmartFTP program. You'll find more free editors, menu builders at CoffeeCup. All very good and easy to use.

Haven't touched on the free graphics programs you may need.

Ron

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
If you need an actual web template, freewebsitetemplates.com offer quite a few free variations of web templates, just don't expect them to be up to html 4.1 standards;)

Edited by Spider-Man, 22 September 2007 - 07:23 AM.