Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe Mode Wont Work HELP!

• Please log in to reply

kaz46

kaz46

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Everyone,
I'm very stuck! and need your help please.
I cant get back into Windows, and cant get into Safe Mode either I'm stuck at the Menu that says:-
Safe Mode
Safe Mode With Networking
Safe Mode With Command Prompt

I was going to run AVG in Safe Mode and couldn't get in so I went to msconfig and started Safe Mode from there, but I still had the same problem it wouldn't load into safe mode, because I cant get in to change it back in msconfig. now Im stuck because it just keeps loading to try and go into windows only to go back again to safe mode Menu. Iv tried all the Menu alternatives
Safe Mode
Safe Mode With Networking
Safe Mode With Command Prompt

None will work how the heck to I get out of this, any help would be gratefully appreciated

Im talking to you from my laptop

Thanks Kaz46

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
If you have your Windows XP disk
  • Insert your Windows XP disk into your computer and reboot
  • Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device.
    NOTE: You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will be asked to log in.
    NOTE: For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit ENTER. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.
When you see the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt continue to section 3 ("Ending a Safe Mode Boot Loop")

If you DO NOT have your Windows XP disk
  • Download RC.ISO from Here.
  • Now burn this ISO image to a CD and boot your computer with it.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD-ROM. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro to another Windows machine and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
  • Once the CD is created, place it in the defunct computer
  • Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.
  • Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device.
    NOTE: You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will be asked to log in.
    NOTE: For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit ENTER. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.
Ending a Safe Mode Boot Loop
  • Once at the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt, type:

bootcfg /add

• Windows will scan your system, looking for Windows installs
  • It will find C:\WINDOWS and give it a number 1
  • type

• press ENTER
  • it will ask for a name
  • type

WINDOWS2

• press ENTER
  • it will ask for switches
  • leave blank
  • press ENTER
  • Type

EXIT

• Windows will reboot
  • This time, you will be give a choice of two operating systems

WINDOWS

AND

WINDOWS2

choose the second option
  • Windows will boot.
  • Now, open C:\Boot.ini in notepad and paste the contents here

kaz46

kaz46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tried all the above and nothing has worked. I have done all the malware cleaning guide and have come up with one thing with Panda Active scan Ill have to get back to you with that when it finishes, but just out of interest I had to take my pc back last night with an earlier backup and when I did I tried going into Safe Mode and it worked ok, dont know weather this gives some info as to the problem or not

kaz46

kaz46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This is the result I got back from Panda Activescan

Incident Status Location

Potentially unwanted tool:application/mywebsearch Not disinfected hkey_classes_root\clsid\{9AFB8248-617F-460d-9366-D71CDEDA3179}
Spyware:Cookie/Com.com Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Karen & Julie\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\mx7zh51q.default\cookies.txt[.com.com/]
Spyware:Cookie/Atlas DMT Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Karen & Julie\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\mx7zh51q.default\cookies.txt[.atdmt.com/]
Spyware:Cookie/Cd Freaks Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Karen & Julie\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\mx7zh51q.default\cookies.txt[.cdfreaks.com/]
Spyware:Cookie/Cd Freaks Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Karen & Julie\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\mx7zh51q.default\cookies.txt[.club.cdfreaks.com/]
Spyware:Cookie/Cd Freaks Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Karen & Julie\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\mx7zh51q.default\cookies.txt[.cdfreaks.com/]
Spyware:Cookie/Tucows Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Karen & Julie\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\mx7zh51q.default\cookies.txt[.tucows.com/]

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you restored from a backup and safe mode works now?

kaz46

kaz46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes,
but the backup was from my first ever backup when I got the computer and really I didn't want that because of all the stuff I have on my PC at the moment, so I restored it back to a backup of a few days ago and then I still had the problem of not going into safe mode (does this make any sence?) does this tell you anything is it software or hardware problem Im not sure

Thanks again