Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

major problems here

• Please log in to reply

kile32

kile32

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay guys. Put on your thinking caps because I have a doozy here.
My computer is an old compaq deskpro. Last week I noticed that my CPU usage on my task manager was running at 100% and the PF Usage was almost at full capacity as well. My C drive has 9.3 GB and I was using 8.9. So I went to my add/remove programs to remove any uneccessary programs to free up some space. I think that I removed some programs that I needed. I removed quicktime, javascript, some zip file program (which I don't believe I ever used because there was a fee to use it and I never paid for it)

After I did that, all [bleep] broke loose. I tried to open up my itunes and it didn't open. I then researched and found out I need that quicktime to run itunes. So I tried to install quicktime from the apple website. But then I get an windows error message telling me that the internet explorer cannot find download and it is unable to find the site. Now I can't download files as attachments to emails I receive.

Now yesterday, I noticed under the internet tools I don't have any amount of disk space to use for my temporary internet file folder. It used to be some number but now it is zero. I checked my temporary internet file and I didn't have a one! I don't get it. I thought that everytime I went onto a site, it was logged into this file? I am still navigating through my browser but it isn't recorded onto the file.

Will anyone attempt to help me out on this?

Thanks,

Kile

Advertisements

J0hn

J0hn

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I have ie7 so this might confuse you a little bit, or not.

Anyway, I think the default location for "temporary internet file" is located here:
c:\documents and settings\your name\local settings\temporary internet files

If it's not there then probably it was moved somewhere else. If you have it and if there is no logs being logged, then probably it's because you don't have enough disk space for those logs(I'm not sure though because I don't use IE).

The amount of disk space that I have under internet tools is "1192(default)", set to automatically, and days to keep history is 20. Those are my default settings, maybe you can input those settings and see if it fixes the problem.

Or you can go to advance settings and make sure "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" is unchecked. If that doesn't fix the problem then maybe you uninstalled some programs that were needed for internet explorer to function properly.

Your CPU running at 100 could mean a lot of things like a virus or malware in your pc. You might want to do a virus scan or spyware scan and post the log files in one of there spyware/malware help threads. Best of luck Kile.