Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ADSL Broadband question - please help

• Please log in to reply

wrdmatt

wrdmatt

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, i'm new to ADSL so please forgive my 'stupidness' if this sounds like a simple problem...

My friend has Sky Broadband internet with is linked through a router and he has ADSL sockets in the room with his main computer and router.

It is set up like the following:

Wall Socket > ADSL filter > Another sort of ADSL filter > grey ethernet sort of cable into the router.

The router shows the internet flashing, but the internet wont connect. I've tried the sky diagnostics and it says it cant find the net.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Wrdmatt
You should not have a filter on the line going into the modem/router
The filter must go on the other telephone lines. If you have more then 3 other telephone lines then you need a different filter.
Cheers
Peterm

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need Wall Socket -> Filter -> Connection to router. Then you need a filter on every other phone socket in the house with a telephone plugged into it.

If you're running off an extension, it needs to be wired into the back of the master socket before it'll work.