Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Are Celerons really that bad?

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
I've heard a lot of bad things about Celerons.

I have:

2.8GHz Celeron D 335 Prescott
133MHz Bus Speed
x21 Multiplier
533MHz Rated FSB
16KB L1 Data
12 Kuops L1 Trace
256KB L2 Cache

My question is, is it worth upgrading to a P4 2GHz and above? I know dual core would be better, but I can't really be bothered getting a new motherboard, whereas this one would support a P4. So should I get one? I also have 1GB DDR RAM and a 128MB GeForce 6200.

Thanks

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Whether Celerons are bad depends entirely on what you are doing with the machine. If you are performing tasks that are memory intensive like video conversions or games, they will be slow. If you are largely just moving data, web surfing, downloading, moving files, you will hardly notice any difference. The only importance difference is the amount of cache.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Well, I convert a lot of videos to MP4 for my iPod, and I play games occasionally, but older ones like Hitman Contracts, GTA3, Vice City, etc.. and I use Dreamweaver/Photoshop a lot. So would I benefit from a P4?

Also, when recording games using Fraps and an onboard video card it's a bit slow (~12FPS). Would a proper graphics card take some of the load of the processor?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It sounds as if your problems are quite marginal. Maybe you will be better off just adding ram and not replacing the cpu or adding a video card. Go up to 1 gigabyte, if you don't have this much already.

In theory the answer to your questions are that p4 of the same speed will be somewhat faster then Celeron and a video card will take some of the load from the cpu. It all depends if you need it.

In all aspects, with the exception of speed, Celeron is as good as P4.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Ah, I have 1GB RAM already and both slots are filled up. I picked up a GeForce 6200 for only £25 ($50) because I only have 32mb onboard VRAM at the moment, and with VRAM, my RAM won't run at 400mhz. It should be here tomorrow, so I shall see.

Thanks.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Okay, I can get this for £43

3GHz P4 Prescott
800MHz System Bus
1MB L2 Advanced Transfer Cache
Supported by Intel 875P, Intel 865PE and 865G Chipsets
Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE2) Instructions
90nm Technology

Is it good?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
It's alright, you would probably notice a difference, but see if you can get the P4 630 - hopefully for not much more money. It's pretty much the same, but has a 2MB level two cache. It's my current processor, and it rocks! :)