Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Update from my last topic (motherboard dying?)

• Please log in to reply

sluggy

sluggy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hey, all. I posted this topic a few weeks ago about my thinking that my motherboard was dying. I followed the instructions in that thread. I replaced the CMOS battery, and the key repitition stopped and the time stopped acting funky, so I thought I had fixed it. However, for the last 2-3 days it has been doing all those things again, and I have other problems.

Usually towards the end of the night (around 8-10pm) after having my computer on since sometime in the afternoon (usually between 12 and 3 pm) my computer screen flashes off and on. It will turn off for about 2 seconds, then come back on. Then a few minutes later it will do the exact same thing. I restart and it and it is fine for a few minutes, then it will flash again. The tower also makes weird noises, like ... the noise is like a car revving. It will 'rev' up, then go silent, then it will rev up again, then go silent again. It only happens at the end of the night, when I'm almost done using the computer for the night, and when I turn it on in the morning/afternoon it works ok, but still with the key repitition and the time issue.

Anyone have any idea's what is going on?

Advertisements

sluggy

sluggy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Anyone out there? Any help available?

sluggy

sluggy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Oops, double post.

Edited by sluggy, 23 September 2007 - 06:09 PM.

jaxter

jaxter

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ummm..... you might have some sort of virus eating at it. What I reccomend is Avast! antivirus. It will search your system in through the program, document files, and all the other files including your motherboard. Avast helped me take out 5 trojan horses, and malware. Try it.