Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Reinstall Symantec Antivirus

• Please log in to reply

mstlelc

mstlelc

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I recently purchased a bigger hard drive for my computer. I mirrored all of my data from my old HD to my new HD and all is working just fine except for my antivirus program, which is Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition Version 8.1. I tried several things to make it work but it will not start. Lastly, I uninstalled it and cleared the program out of each registry entry per Symantec's web site but when I go to reinstall the program it will shut down after this message, which is attached, after about 10 seconds.

Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• clip_image002.jpg

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Did you check this topic HERE

mstlelc

mstlelc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Not yet, but I will. Thank you. I'll post how it goes.

mstlelc

mstlelc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I justed checked your link. My version is not there. I have Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition Version 8.1. Any ideas?

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Do you have the Norton CD? Are you installing it from a CD? Or did Norton come with the original computer and you are trying just to transfer it over? Has your subscription run out? I am not sure if it will allow you to mirror it over or not.

mstlelc

mstlelc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Yes, I have the Symantec CD. In fact, I have two, and tried them both. This corporate version is on our work system and I do a lot of my work from home so we installed it the same as my work computer. The corporate version has no expiration date.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I would probably check with your information systems department then. There may be some sort of safeguard on it that prevnts it from being installed again.

There are plenty of free antivirus options out there. I use Grisoft/AVG.

mstlelc

mstlelc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I went through the registry and deleted any and all Symantec items I found and it reinstalled just fine. I'm good to go. Thanks for your help.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I wasn't much help. I have a computer from my job and there are things I can't do on that that I can do on my home computer. I'm glad you figured it out. Some work places install certain parameters on their machines and don't allow you to do certain things.