Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow "my computer"

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Hey there, not sure if this was ever asked, so here goes.

I've added 2 network drives to my computer in recent months. network drive A: connects to my mother's PC. network drive B: connects to my laptop.

Now, for some reason, when I only had drive A:, my computer wouldnt lag when looking up my computer, even when her computer was off.

Now that I have added B: for my laptop, opening the "my computer" takes a Very long time, while it determins wether the laptop is connected.

Is there a registry fix, or any other way, to prevent windowsXP from looking up those network drives, unless an inquiry is sent To those drives? That's my understanding of the problem anyway, when the My Comptuer opens, it checks all the drives and the storage space etc. I figure if we could disable that lookup on the network drives, the problem would be solved.

What do you think, and can you help me? Thanks again!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Vaillant...

Do you have "Indexing" enabled?

Click Start, then Search, click on the link "With Indexing Service (for faster local searches). If you find the Indexing Service enabled, disable it and reboot.

Does this reduce the lag?

wannabe1

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Yeah, indexing is disabled...

Like I previously stated it might have something to do with network drives, I wasnt having this problem back when I only had 1.

Thanks.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
This can happen if you have large data being called from the registry that is mapped to that drive. Could also happen if you are trying to run an application from the network drive. It also could be just polling the network drivers repeatedly.

You can try the following registry edits

Go to http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm
look for http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Right click on this link and choose "save as" and save it to your desktop. Then go to your desktop and double click this file. Say yes when it prompts you about merging the entry with the registry.

Reboot and see if this helps.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I hate to be so demanding... but you neglected to say which tweak to grab, you accidentally put the link to kelly's corner twice.... hehe

Awaiting your reply :)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Sorry about that. Please remember to save as for these files.

there may be more than one. essentially its explorer refreshing that may be causing the issue: Look for End/Refresh Process on Explorer.Exe (http://www.kellys-ko...ashexplorer.vbs }

or this one:
Prevent Delay Opening My Computer/Explorer ( http://www.kellys-ko...s_edits/wia.reg )

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hmmm, i'd just like to say Vaillant my man you have a very very cool PC. Nice job on the rig dude. :) :) :)

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Nice, thanks. I've applied both the reg and script to both my systems (as they were both a bit sluggish with this issue..)

I'll give it a few days, and report back (seeing how it was intermittant already)

Thanks a bunch!

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Yup, that registry fix totally did the trick.

Thanks a bunch starjax :) kelly's corner is so huge I didnt even know where to begin to search it (been to that site before)

Have a great weekend!

emmanuel07

emmanuel07

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) thanks a lot!!! it solved my problem!!!