Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply

Wiley303

Wiley303

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,
I'm sorry to admit that my computer knowledge is lacking, so please excuse any ignorance on my part in this thread :)

I'm having some problems with the house desktop. I turned it off yesterday (which it did slower than usual), and then when I came to turn it on today, it turns on to loading/bootup page (not sure what to call it, but it's the first thing that appears on screen) and then freezes. I've tried to press F8 but it doesn't get far enough to let me do that.

It's a Dell, pentium 4 with Windows XP. HAs anyone got any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

Advertisements

Wiley303

Wiley303

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't know if this will help or not!

Posted Image

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Did the computer come with an OS disc or recovery disk that contains XP?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this will let us know if its a hardware issue or a windows issue..

get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd ...if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...