Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

a question on malware about vista

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
curiousity again, I keep hearing that vista has less malware than XP, is this the truth and is it reflected by the number of infections seen in geekstogo's malware removal forum here, thanks

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Its a matter of time just like everyone jumping on the FF bandwagon.

Of course at the moment XP logs are a higher percentage but once users upgrade or buy a new computer it will start to even out

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Hey, flea - I like your new avatar!

While Vista has more security features, I think it's difficult to say at this point whether it will have an impact on the number of malware posts we get here - it's still too new and not widespread enough to accurately gauge that. I have helped one user who had vundo on a Vista machine, and I have come across a few logs in the malware forum here and on other sites, so I know it can get infected. Certainly Vista users should not get complacent and think that they're safe just because they have Vista, just like Firefox and Opera users shouldn't get complacent. I'm sure the malware writers are hard at work figuring out ways to circumvent Vista's security settings; I think at this point, looking for flaws and exploits in Microsoft's security features is a challenge to be met by them. I think Vista users should continue to practice safe computing; use an AV, an antispyware program, avoid opening suspect attachments or clicking on suspect links, etc.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks for these replies then, I will probably ask this question again at a later date(no need for details) since it would be nice to know if their claim is true, yet I agree that before the battle it is impossible to know for sure the outcome

flea thanks sari for noticing his avatar

Edited by fleamailman, 21 September 2007 - 12:51 PM.