Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bios error 4096

• Please log in to reply

dalcmm909

dalcmm909

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I had issues with malware (aurora in particular). After cleaning the system (with Geekstogo help) everything was great again. I then proceded to update my system to SP2. Upon rebooting, I get the error:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\inf\biosinfo.inf

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original Setup CD-Rom.
Select 'r' at the first menu screen to start repair."

Upon booting, though, the CD is never read. According to the microsoft website, this problem is caused by third party virus protection software. Entirely possible as I just installed Ewido during the cleanup of the malware. The fix according to the microsoft site is to cancel installation, boot normally, remove the third party program, then retry the upgrade. The problem here is that I do not have the option to cancel the upgrade (as far as I can tell).

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bkwgator

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you say...

Upon booting, though, the CD is never read.

no antivirus will stop you from booting from the cd drive...they don't even load until windows is loaded

make sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...if it is and it still won't boot from the cd drive...then the cd drive is probably bad...try swapping to a known good cd drive