Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sub Spooler Problem

• Please log in to reply

sosanyone

sosanyone

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have an older pc that I'm using a HP 1600 Laser printer on. Have been using the printer for about 1 year. Had no probs until now. PC isn't online so I know it's not a maleware issue. Started yesterday when I tried to print a large pdf flyer. The system seemed to bog down... Now the sub spooler shuts down after every restart and you cant view any available printers under the control pane.

I've restarted the spooler over and over and it keeps shutting down. I think the file may be hung up in the sub spool somewhere in NANO land.....

Please any info will be greatly appreciated.....

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi sosanyone.

I haven't heard the term "subspooler" used anywhere before...

Some printer drivers have bugs in them that are data-dependent and may choke every time on a certain document.

Anyhow, the printer driver may have become corrupted.

Try these things in order.

1) Uninstall the printer:
Control Panel > Printers and Faxes
Right-click on your printer > Choose Delete

Click on Add Printer. Your printer type should still be there. Install it again. See if the printer spooler works correctly.

Since you are reading this then the fix above didn't work.

2) Uninstall the printer using the steps from 1). Don't reinstall it.
Unplug the data cable going to the printer.
Restart your PC.

Plug the printer cable back in. Cancel any XP popups wanting you to load a driver.
Reinstall the printer driver: Go to the printer manufacturer's web site and download the latest driver for your printer and your OS and install the driver.

_

Edited by WinCrazy, 21 September 2007 - 07:02 PM.

sosanyone

sosanyone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply.... I fixed it yesterday. It would not let me uninstall the printer. It showed that there wasn't any printers available when the spooler crashed. The sub spooler handles the memory for the files to be printed, kinda like the middle man between the printer and pc. I did everything but the simplest. All I had to do was put the HP Cd in and reload the HP drivers from the disk and reboot system. That cleared out the subspooler and fixed the issue.

Thanks again for your response.....