Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can't connect to college network

• Please log in to reply

victim of a down

victim of a down

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm back at college, and I need to use the internet. My laptop can connect just fine, but my desktop won't. It's cable internet. When I hook my computer up, it will seem to be connected (though it never receives anything), but I can't get on the web. I went into TCP/IP settings and told it to automatically obtain an ip address and dns server address. When I click the connection, though, it says automatic private address. It's like it tries to obtain an address for a while, but then it gives up and makes its own, which just doesn't work. Any ideas?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
could you describe how everything is hooked up? you say you're connecting at college...does this mean you're connecting to a school network? or are you in an apartment and you've got your own cable modem there?

victim of a down

victim of a down

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I just connect through an ethernet cable. It goes from the wall straight to my computer in my dorm room to connect to the school's network.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
have you called the schools tech group yet?