Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two million post thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Alright, stop it there. We've been on-topic for waaaaaaaaaay too long...

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Wow, I thought a million posts was a lot. Here's a forum with over a Billion (with a B): http://www.gaiaonlin...forum/index.php

What the heck is GaiaOnline?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Wow, I thought a million posts was a lot. Here's a forum with over a Billion (with a B): http://www.gaiaonlin...forum/index.php

What the heck is GaiaOnline?

I'm not sure, it looks like some sort of gaming/anime forum... It doesn't look very interesting to me anyway. I'd rather this forum any day :whistling:

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

I'm not sure, it looks like some sort of gaming/anime forum... It doesn't look very interesting to me anyway. I'd rather this forum any day :whistling:

The only thing interesting about the forum is the name it self; if you like Greek mythology :blink:

Gaia

by Ron Leadbetter

Gaia or Gaea, known as Earth or Mother Earth (the Greek common noun for "land" is ge or ga). She was an early earth goddess and it is written that Gaia was born from Chaos, the great void of emptiness within the universe, and with her came Eros. She gave birth to Pontus (the Sea) and Uranus (the Sky). This was achieved parthenogenetically (without male intervention). Other versions say that Gaia had as siblings Tartarus (the lowest part of the earth, below Hades itself) and Eros, and without a mate, gave birth to Uranus (Sky), Ourea (Mountains) and Pontus (Sea).

Gaia took as her husband Uranus, who was also her son, and their offspring included the Titans, six sons and six daughters. She gave birth to the Cyclopes and to three monsters that became known as the "Hecatonchires". The spirits of punishment known as the Erinyes were also offspring of Gaia and Uranus. The Gigantes, finally, were conceived after Uranus had been castrated by his son Cronus, and his blood fell to earth from the open wound.

To protect her children from her husband, (the Cyclopes and the Hecatoncheires, as he was fearful of their great strength), Gaia hid them all within herself. One version says that Uranus was aghast at the sight of his offspring so he hid them away in Tartarus, which are the bowels of the earth. Gaia herself found her offspring uncomfortable and at times painful, when the discomfort became to much to bear she asked her youngest son Cronus to help her. She asked him to castrate Uranus, thus severing the union between the Earth and Sky, and also to prevent more monstrous offspring. To help Cronus achieve his goal Gaia produced an adamantine sickle to serve as the weapon. Cronus hid until Uranus came to lay with Gaia and as Uranus drew near, Cronus struck with the sickle, cutting the genitalia from Uranus. Blood fell from the severed genitals and came in contact with the earth and from that union was born the Erinyes (Furies), the Giants and the Meliae (Nymphs of the manna ash trees).

After the separation of the Earth from the Sky, Gaia gave birth to other offspring, these being fathered by Pontus. Their names were the sea-god Nereus, Thaumas, Phorcys, Ceto and Eurybia. In other versions Gaia had offspring to her brother Tartarus; they were Echidna and Typhon, the later being an enemy of Zeus. Apollo killed Typhon when he took control of the oracle at Delphi, which Gaia originally provided, and then the "Sibyl" sang the oracle in Gaia's shrine.

It was Gaia who saved Zeus from being swallowed by Cronus, after Zeus had been born, Gaia helped Rhea to wrap a stone in swaddling clothes, this was to trick Cronus in to thinking it was Zeus, because Cronus had been informed that one of his children would depose him, and so to get rid of his children he had swallowed them, Gaia's trick worked and Zeus was then taken to Crete.

Gaia being the primordial element from which all the gods originated was worshiped throughout Greece, but later she went into decline and was supplanted by other gods. In Roman mythology she was known as Tellus or Terra.

Gaia. Encyclopedia Mythica. Retrieved July 25, 2007, from Encyclopedia Mythica Online.
<http://www.pantheon....es/g/gaia.html>

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Suck up :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
acording to the home page it's "the fastest growing online hangout"

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Have you heard Drew Carey is the new host of the Price is Right? I'm a big fan of Drew Carey, but he seems an odd choice. I didn't watch Price is Right often, but there was something comforting about watching a show that changed very little over my lifetime. It seems clear they must be taking it in a very different direction now that Bob Barker retired. What do you think?

I had not heard about this, but think this will be an interesting choice - I would like to see TPIR continue for another LONG stint, because this show has been on the air since before I was born, and I like it - hopefully, this show will be a mainstay on CBS :whistling:

Brian

`Power

`Power

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Eh, 2 Billion is... alot...

We should do a count game, starting from the number "1" we count up to 2 million :whistling:

~`Power

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
It looks like something similiar to Coke studios and Habo Hotel.

But nothing I would be interested in

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
meh. That place is mostly junk posting. Nothing like HERE, where we have only quality posts in every forum at all times. :whistling:

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
*sari nods at Kat

Like this one.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Let's not forget this very important one, as well.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hornswagglers!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts