Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two million post thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I ain't got no one of those things, that what you call it there, wife or gf (geekfriend).

OK, I really don't talk like that. I am just too aware of grammar geeks around these parts. :)

I do have a home theater system but I don't have any cable TV or the sorts. I have around 300 DVD's so I can watch (re-watch) a movie now and then. But that never happens anymore with school being a full-time adventure.
And not to forget this butt-rutt-in-office-chair that I have to park my gluteus maximus in every night due to a serious technology induced addiction I have.

Come to think of it, I am quite certain I'm nocturnal too.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Don't settle for anything less!!!!

Sorry, there's only one of me, and I'm already taken! :)

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Don't settle for anything less!!!!

Sorry, there's only one of me, and I'm already taken! :)

That's why we all agree,he is indeed the lucky one :) Btw:'like your postcount4444 :)

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
:)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Bah, I'm tired. Plus I need a break from the screen - I should have bought a Samsung, not a cheap stake MAG. My eyes hurt from it.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Don't walk into dumbbells with bare feet. It's really hard on your toes. True story.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Why do you have dumbbells in the path?

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Why do they call them "dumbbells"? Think about it .... they're not bells .. are they?

Edited by frantique, 13 October 2007 - 04:40 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Because Sari pays so much attention helping everyone that she does not have time to pick them up as soon as they are left on the floor by someone else in the house.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What's a dumb bell? Sounds like a stoopid moosical instrument...

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Or maybe a dumb Clock Tower bell on drugs :)

uglymaggot

uglymaggot

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Why do they call them "dumbbells"? Think about it .... they're not bells .. are they?

Heres why

From T. Walter:

[/indent] Posted ImageWell, think about what the word dumbbell might mean etymologically: a dumb bell is a "silent" bell. Yes, a dumbbell was a device used to train bell ringers! There was a rope to pull but no true bell and so no noise. This device later came to be used for exercise. Around the same time people were also using another instrument for exercise, and it too was called a dumbbell, though it consisted of a bar with rounded weights at each end. One was held in each hand and swung. It has been suggested that they may have resembled hand-bells as they were being swung, and so the name of another exercise device, the dumbbell, was applied to the small instruments that resemble the dumbbells of today.

The term was applied to persons simply because it contains the word dumb (U.S. slang for "stupid"). Dumbbell was already being used in this derogatory sense by 1920.

Edited by uglymaggot, 13 October 2007 - 09:59 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
uglymaggot, you win the Google award for the day. Description, etymology, and a picture all in one response. Well done.

So yes, that is what I walked into. I'd actually left it where it was, but it really wasn't in the normal walking path in that room. I was collecting some trash (it was trash day) and talking to my husband, who was in Korea on a business trip, on the phone. When I turned to walk out of the room, I couldn't see the weight because of the trash bag, and I couldn't carry it easily because I was holding the phone with my shoulder, so wham, I kicked it. They don't move when you kick them. I now have a lovely purple toe.

uglymaggot

uglymaggot

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

uglymaggot, you win the Google award for the day. Description, etymology, and a picture all in one response. Well done.

thanks Sari :)

sounds painful but its a good execuse not to clear up the trash.

*Sergio(uglymaggot) hates cleaning

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
*FPVDriF6 hates dirty nappies...