Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two million post thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i get my news from NPR (National Public Radio) on my way to and from work every day....straight news in the morning (morning edition) and all things considered in the evening....i prefer all things considered because they cover more than "current events" and normal news...there's always some interesting tidbit about living in the world and times we live in....and usually an uplifting story or two

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

As for this incident, 500 000 people is huge! I can't imagine what would happen if I had to evacuate my home (what would I grab? My son and wife, a change of clothes, our photo albums, and my desktop tower - maybe the piano). My thoughts to these people also.

FPVDriF6,

For a lot of these people, they don't have time to grab anything at all. These wildfires are being spread by the Santa Ana winds, which blow at 50 mph or more - there have been some gusts recorded of 100 mph in the last few days. The fires are jumping roads and spreading so quickly, some people are leaving the front of the house as the fire comes in the back. The firefighters don't actually try to put out the fires - they really just try to contain them as much as possible and prevent their spread. There have been 2 deaths so far - it's amazing there haven't been more - but one of them was a motorist who was trapped by flames. In addition, 12 firefighters yesterday were surrounded by flames that jumped a road and were only able to survive by wrapping themselves in special fireproof blankets they were carrying.

Dsenette, I haven't listened to All Things Considered in a long time, mostly because I'm not in my car when it's on and at home there's too much going on at that time, but it is indeed an interesting show. They often present the news in a way that makes it more understandable, and they do have some very interesting stories sometimes. You may get me listening to it again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

For a lot of these people, they don't have time to grab anything at all. These wildfires are being spread by the Santa Ana winds, which blow at 50 mph or more - there have been some gusts recorded of 100 mph in the last few days. The fires are jumping roads and spreading so quickly, some people are leaving the front of the house as the fire comes in the back. The firefighters don't actually try to put out the fires - they really just try to contain them as much as possible and prevent their spread. There have been 2 deaths so far - it's amazing there haven't been more - but one of them was a motorist who was trapped by flames. In addition, 12 firefighters yesterday were surrounded by flames that jumped a road and were only able to survive by wrapping themselves in special fireproof blankets they were carrying.

there are alot of locations in the fire path in cali right now that are so bad that they're not even letting fire crews in....when they won't let the people in who are trained to do this stuff...you know it's a bad situation

Transience

Transience

Unofficial Music Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 2,448 posts
yeah i've been following the path of those fires over the past couple days... latest I heard is the wind should be down over the next couple days and they may be able to get it under control. my thoughts out to those affected as well

also @ NPR - my parents got me hooked this summer, and now i listen whenever I can (which isn't as often as I'd like), but it seems like there's always something interesting on there.

Edited by Transience, 24 October 2007 - 10:18 AM.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Ok, first I need to say BUMP.

Next I would like to know how you can change the title under where your avatar is or is it only available for for staff to do it?

Haiku's are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Check edit profile information in your controls.

No not my controls your controls :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I like mine, it's a play on the forum names... And kind of (I hope) gives the impression that I actually do help people :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Really? Can you help me find how to change mine? I can't find it...

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Really? Can you help me find how to change mine? I can't find it...

I can't find either. :)

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Ooohhh ... I get a chance to do something technically helpful :)

Keithr and Fredil,
Please go to "My Control" at the top right side of any page. In the menu on the left go to "Personal Profile" and click "Edit Profile" then type what you want next to "Custom Member Title".

Cheers

Edited by frantique, 27 October 2007 - 10:31 AM.

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
I don't think it's there :)

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Must only be for staff :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Troy is staff? :)

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
. . . anyway,

I do a full charge on my cell phone, and I can only make a 2 minute call before the battery goes dead.

I emailed the company (I won't say the name but "V").
They replied with this:

all batteries purchased from "V" Wireless carry a one year
manufacturer's warranty against defects in materials and workmanship
that generally starts at the date of purchase. I would be happy to ship
out a new battery for 25% off of the full retail price of $39.99 plus
taxes, you will receive free shipping with your purchase.

They acknowledged that my purchase date was less than 1 year ago, and they tell me the battery is covered under warranty. But they will still give me a deal??
The nearest store is 50 miles from me, I think they figure the price of gas so expensive that this is a better deal to buy it online.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

Troy is staff? :)

I think it's post-number related, correct me if I'm wrong.