Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS does not recognize External Hardrive

• Please log in to reply

Gonzalez

Gonzalez

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My Sytem:
PC Win 2K Pro SP4
Motherboard: ASUS P5P800S
BIOS: AMI 05-29-05
Intel Pentium 4
2048 MB Memory
HD 40 GB NTFS
Controllers:
INTEL 82801EB ULTRA ATA Storage
Primary IDE Channel Controller
Secondary IDE Channel Contoller
Display: NVIDIA Ge Force 2 MX

I also have a Backpack External Hardrive 40 GB SCSI

Problem: The BIOS does not recognize the Backpack External Hardrive.

The Backpack External Hardrive is recognized by Windows. Either by USB or Serial Connection.

Question: The External Hardrive is SCSI and the Contoller is ATA, could this be the problem? Could it be imcompatability

with the motherboard? My knowledge of computers is limited.

All help will be highly appreciated.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
What kind of cable connects the external drive to the computer?

Gonzalez

Gonzalez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Serial Cable

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

The Backpack External Hardrive is recognized by Windows. Either by USB or Serial Connection.

as long as windows "see's" it...it should be fine....can you read and write to the external drive..?

Gonzalez

Gonzalez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes, I can.
But I bought a Spotmau PowerSuite 2007 in order to backup to the external hardrive and it does not work due to the fact that th BIOS does not see the F:\ drive where the external hard drive is.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Spotmau PowerSuite 2007 is a bootable cd...its meant to boot and run from the cd drive...set your bios to boot from the cd drive first...then the hard drive...reboot...no joy
there is also somewhere in your bios... to have windows OR the bios configure the hardware on bootup....set it to let the bios configure everything

Spotmau PowerSuite was not designed to be a backup tool...more like a rescue tool...

Gonzalez

Gonzalez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes, you are right. What I wanted to do with the Spotmau is clone my C:\ to F:\. Then the Spotmau disk says that I only

have one disk and I need two. I wrote to Tech support and they said that I need to change the jumpers on the hard drive.

The BIOS is set to automatically "see" the F:\ disk.

As I mentioned before the connection from the External Hard Drive to the Computer is a "serial cable." I used a USB

connection before and the BIOS did not see it either.

Is really necessary to change the jumpers?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Why not try another cloning program. Try to download DriveImage XML from the list of programs in my signature. It's free and it runs from windows.

Gonzalez

Gonzalez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you, I will try it and let you know the outcome.

Gonzalez

Gonzalez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Regarding your suggestion to use the free Drive Image XML. I took a look at it. Win 2 K Pro is not supported but could be

used if a BartPE CD is created. I watched the 5.56 minutes YouTube video. As I mentioned before my knowledge of

computers is limited, beside I am 74 years old and all this is over my head. So, coming back to my question, will

changing the jumpers solve the problem?

I appreciate very much your patient and help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know about the jumper. I would try to change it eventhough I am quite Skeptic. Just before that, have you tried to enter the BIOS and look if there is anything related to SCSI? If there is, make sure it's enabled.

Gonzalez

Gonzalez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I check the BIOS and there is nothing related to SCSI. There is a "USB Mass Storage Device Configuration"

I changed the connection from the External Hard Drive to the computer from Serial to USB, then went back to the BIOS

and the answer was "No USB Mass Storage device detected."

I also find out that the Backpack External Hard Drive does not exist any longer, seems that the company Microsolutions is

out of business or bought by somebody else.