Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Primary partition on external HD gone

• Please log in to reply

Souley16

Souley16

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a 500 gb (465 to be exact) external hard drive which I've divided into three partitions, one primary of 162 gb and 2 extended, 151gb and 152gb partitions with NTFS. Recently, I've noticed that the access time for the hard drive was taking slightly longer than usual and just a couple of days ago, the primary partition basically started showing as a RAW partition. I've never dropped the hd and its only about 6 months old and was bought new. I tried running chkdsk /f on the partition but it doesn't work, am guessing its because it's showin up as a raw partition. I've used several applications to try and retrieve the data. Using the software testdisk, I was able to access some of the files, but some show damaged, and one of my most important folders shows empty and there was about 30 gb of applications in there. Using DIY DataRecovery IRecover, it also shows that same folder empty but since it was a trial soft, I could only experiment on one folder. The software did perform a scan of the partition and only about 8 sectors showed up as bad sectors among hundreds. I also tried the app restorer 2000 pro but it only recovered data that I had erased from the partition months ago. Is there a way to rebuild, recreate or retrieve the data on the partition. I would really appreciate your help on this, thanks in advance.

:) :wave: :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Souley16...

I don't know of a free application that will recover from a raw partition, nor would I attempt to rebuild or convert the partition that contains the data for fear for causing further corruption to the files.

However, GetDataBack will probably be able to recover your files. It's not free (around $90 US), but you can download it and run it at no cost. It will show you what can be recovered and let you look at the files to check for corruption. To actually recover the files, though, you will have to purchase the license key. Download the version for the type you file system the drive was formatted with (either FAT of NTFS).

wannabe1

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi Souley16.

It sounds like your external drive is dying. Check your warranty and see if you can get a replacement.

$90 is a lot of money to pay for a program. I'll guess that's a big percentage of the purchase price of the external drive itself. You'll have to decide whether that program is worth it or not. Remember that the program may not get any/all your files back.

_