Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Safe mode in windows xp

• Please log in to reply

natcguerreiro

natcguerreiro

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi

When i try to start my computer in safe mode it cames a window like this:

The screen as a blue square on in and it says:

Boot Menu

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Select a boot first devce

Hard Disk
- 3rd SATA-M: Maxtor 6L200M0
- Bootable Add-in cards
CDEOM
- 2nd master: Sony DVD RW DW-Q28A
- 2nd Slave: Sony CD-RW CRX230ED
Legacy LAN

----- Expand/Close ----- Move ---- Enter: Accept ---- F4:Exit ------

Is it normal or can i have same help, please
Thanks
Nat

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Does your system start normaly?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Edit: please delete

Edited by kamille316, 21 September 2007 - 03:48 PM.

natcguerreiro

natcguerreiro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thanks for your reply

Yes, it starts normaly but it has being infected by a backdoor trojan and i can't get into safe mode.
I am also having same problems, like, i can't do any of the follow:

1. "Drag" anything from anywhere

2. "cut and past" anything from anywhere

3. "open any links" from internet explorer 7, i have unistaled and instaled again and still not working. (if i am searching on google, i can't open any website), i have instaled firefox and i can open links from there but i don't realy like to work with firefox.

4. My calculator is gone

5. I can't burn cd's

6. My messenger doesn't recognize the webcam, i have unistaled both and i have only instaled messenger back, so i don't know if it will work once i have instaled the webcam.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello natcguerreiro...

Can you toll me a little more about your machine, please? If this is a brand name machine (Dell, HP, etc...), please reply with the make and model number.

At first appearance, this may not be too bad to fix up, but appearances can be deceiving. IF the machine is branded, Dell comes to mind, the first boot screen you see is their's. You'll want to select the SATA drive (M: Maxtor 6L200M0), press "Enter", then immediately start tapping the F8 key to enter the Advanced Boot Options screen where you can choose from the Safe Mode options.

For the drag and drop issue, let's look at a setting. Right click on the Start button and choose "Properties". Under the "Start Menu" tab, click on the "Customize" button next to the version you have selected. In the dialog that opens, click on the "Advanced" tab. In the list of "Start Menu items", does the box next to "Enable dragging and dropping" have a check in it? If not, tick it and Apply the change. You may have to reboot for this to take effect.

For Internet Explorer, let's look at some setting again. Open Control Panel and double click on the "Internet Options" icon. In the Internet Options dialog, click on the "Advanced" tab. In the "Settings" section, make sure each of the following IS selected:
  • Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)
  • Disable script debugging (Other)
  • Enable FTP folder view (outside of Internet Explorer)
  • Enable third-party browser extensions*
  • Use Passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatability)
  • Use HTTP 1.1
  • Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections
If you find all of these already selected, try setting the defaults and see if it will connect. At the bottom, there is a section for Internet Explorer with a "Reset" button...click on "Reset..." and accept the change. You will have to reboot for this to take effect.

The webcam problem, we'll have to explore a little. Let's see how we did do on the other issues before we tackle that one.

wannabe1

natcguerreiro

natcguerreiro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hello wannabe1

Thanks for you reply but it didn't work.

My computer is a "Mesh" computer
AMD Athlon 64 3500 + processor
1024MB (2x512MB)

I am not sure i this is what you have asked for, if not, please let me know how to get this information.

About the boot the computer in safe mode, coudn't do it, after tap enter and immediately F8 it goes strait to "Press F 10 for recovery", tried a few times and coud never get there.

About the drag, i have chequed all as you said, rebboted the computer and didn't work, still the same.

About the internet explorer, exactly the same, did as asked, rebooted, and nothing.

I didn't try anything else about the webcam.

I have being doing same research on your web site and found this:
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Do you think it could be a good idea to "repair" my windows?
would't it delete any data, including outlook messages or favorites
would it bring everything back to normal.

I have also read about backdoor trojan (once we got it, it may stay there and we can't see it), if i repair would i get rid of it forever?

I may ask to much, but don't know what to do as i use this computer to work and internet banking

Regards
Nat

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's let you finish up in the malware forum and see where we are after you get a clean bill of health from the expert there.

natcguerreiro

natcguerreiro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hello

I am back here again.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22 told me to do so and to let you know that my computer is cleared.

But there are all problems remainig.

Can i get any help, please

Thanks
Nat

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Are all your issues still percisting. As for your main issue could you tell us the make and model of your computer?

natcguerreiro

natcguerreiro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi

Yes, they are all persisting.

My computer is "Mesh"
Mesh Matrix Premier (august 05)

I am not sure i this is what you have asked for, if not, please let me know how (where) to get the information about the computer's model.

Thanks
Nat

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If your machine is clean, I would suggest that you do, indeed, run a repair installation. It's not good to do this with an infected machine and that's why I advised that you hold off until you finished there. You will need your XP installation cd and your product key. Windows updates will have to be reinstalled.

natcguerreiro

natcguerreiro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
My windows came pre-installed, all i have is a Mesh computers recovery cd-rom
On the mesh booklet says:
- Where is my microsoft windows cd?
- For licensing purposes in association with microsft, all MS software is incorporated on one CD -the blue mesh recovery solution, which is included with your mesh sistem package.

Is is the one i should use?

If no, how can i do?

Should i backup all my pictures and mini films or would they be ok? If need to backup them, any suggestion for an easy back up, a dvd will do it?

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
According to the Mesh website, the disk you have should allow you to run the repair.

It's always a good idea to back up you data before doing anything major to your machine. DVD's should work nicely for this and will hold more data than a CD-R...external HDD's are also good for this. That said, the repair operation, when done correctly, will not damage or remove your files...it will just repair the operating system.

natcguerreiro

natcguerreiro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Our computer won't burn a cd or a dvd, not even with a cdburnerxp pro 3 program.
We have tried to send the information to a memory card in our hp printer without success.
So, we have managing to send the data thru the share files on messenger into another computer.
We can't backup any programs wich we don't have a cd... i think (at least can't see how)

We have tried the repair thing like recommended on the link you give, but at first it did not reboot from the cd, we have configured the computer to do so, and it didn't work again.
We have checked the "repair the windows isntallation" on mesh manual user and we have done as it says.

But, after all the repairing have being done and after the pc reboot automatically still everything the same.

- can't drag anything
- can't cut and past
- can't open any links (the ones which open a new window or tab)on ie7
- calculator is missing
- can't burn cd's or dvd's
- can't reboot into safe mode, unless i reboot it on the reboot butoon when windows start running.

help please

natcguerreiro

natcguerreiro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
hello

i kept trying and i can run from a cd if i go into the screen when i press f8:

Boot Menu

Select a boot first devce

Hard Disk
- 3rd SATA-M: Maxtor 6L200M0
- Bootable Add-in cards
CDEOM
- 2nd master: Sony DVD RW DW-Q28A
- 2nd Slave: Sony CD-RW CRX230ED
Legacy LAN

----- Expand/Close ----- Move ---- Enter: Accept ---- F4:Exit ------

so after the cd is running, instead of welcome to setup cames up something with the following:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW key to select an item in the list.

* To set up windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER
* To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
* To delete the selectet partition, press D.

-----------------------------------------------------
194475 Mb Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

* F: Partitio 1 (Inactive (OS/2 boot man 4503MB (717 Mb Free)
* C: Partition 2 (Windows) [NTFS] 189972Mb (134872 Mb Free)

If i choose the "F" option it doesn't exist, if i choose the "C" option it says that it allresdy exists and will overright it and all data will probably be lost.

What shoul i do?

Thanks