Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen Goes Funny Colours/Patterns, THEN Goes Blank

• Please log in to reply

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok so there are a thousand people who say "Help! My monitor goes blank" but i have no idea what word to enter in to a search engine to describe what happens to my computer so i need you to help by looking at the image to see what i mean. About 3 days ago (at the time of writing this) my pc started to act up again. Here's what happened:

1. I'm browsing the internet and my screen goes completely white with little orange dots barely visible, then after a few seconds, the screen goes blank and then the light on the monitor turns amber. This is the colour it shows when the computer is turned off, it should be green when everything's working. Despite all of this, the computer is still turned on and the fans are all whirring away. I decided it could be a driver problem for my graphics card (nvidia geforce 6800) so i checked online and discover there is a new driver available for it. I downloaded the driver but the problem happens again a couple of hours later. I restart my computer and everything seems to be OK.

2. The next day, the same problem happens, but the screen shows up with odd blueish coulours/patterns (Attatched Image). Same problem but with different things showing on the screen. Again, after a few seconds the screen goes blank. This happens a few times that day.

3. Today, the same problem persists. Every time it happens, it's sometimes the white with orange dots, it's sometimes the blueish blurry pattern. I thought it was a problem with windows but it's starting to happen before windows even loads up (by that i mean when it's all like a DOS screen - black bg with white text before the windows start up screen. When it's on this bit, instead of white text it just shows up as a white shape in a pattern.

I'm completely stumped. Today i've only managed to have my computer on for a maximum of ten minutes before this happens.

Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00086_2.jpg

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried a different monitor to see if the same thing happens?

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Yeh I did. The problem seems to be solved now. I did a system restore and now everything's OK. I don't know how this has fixed a problem that also occurred BEFORE windows loaded sometimes but as long as my computer is operational again, I'm happy.