Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will not stay in Standby mode.

• Please log in to reply

martin1325

martin1325

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Dell 640m has stopped going into standby about two weeks ago. Either manually or by power options it will click off and after a few seconds the disc and fan starts up and the disc light shows that it is involved in a seemingly regular task.I have tried Task Manager, removing various applications, stopping services, running any number and type of anti-virus/spyware checks. The only action that allows it to work is to stop explorer.exe but I then lose the desktop and can only get it back by re-booting in 'last-known good configuration'. The only suspicious looking file is a BHO 'adftp.dll' which I canot remove, although the problem is there even when not connected to internet. As it seems to be trying to perform some task I tried Ctrl/Esc but this only brings up the start menu looking as though it is in an early episode of Startrek and is being transported. If the computer is left to do its own thing it eventually goes into Standby (not hibernation - I know the difference) but I have never actually timed this, it is hours not minutes. As i much prefer going to standby rather than off or hibernate I would appreciate your help, if only to stop my computer from whirring helplessly and running hot.

Edited by martin1325, 22 September 2007 - 07:39 AM.

Advertisements