Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mouse right click delays everything.....

• Please log in to reply

paulsiam

paulsiam

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I am using Windows XP Pro. In Windows Explorer or My Documents, whenever I right click on any folder or file (e.g., I want to see the properties, or even rename a file), it takes a long time for the computer to do the command. I see the hard drive working, but the delay is noticeably longer and longer. Anything to suggest? I have run SpyBot; cleaned up files; defraqg, etc. Nothing seems to make this particular command go fast.

Paul

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
http://windowsxp.mvp...wrightclick.htm

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thanks for the article. It worked fine.
But...maybe I overkilled the situation...? What does the "context Menu Handler" do anyway? Is it simply what comes up when I right click on a file or folder, i.e., the options that I see then?
I installed the program ShellExView and simply disabled every context menu handler! And so far the computer has not blown up, and everythign seems to be working fine. The files and folders open at a regular speed.
Is there some danger in this drastic approach? (I see that it can all be undone through the same program, by enabling whatever I disabled.)
Thanks
Paul