Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp shuts off after 2 sec.

• Please log in to reply

bimbo36

bimbo36

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I just built my first computer. Whenever I turn it on, it stays on for about one second then shuts off again. Does anyone know what could be the problem.

Someone told me that it could be the power supply.

here are the specs for power supply and motherboard.

Mobo: http://usa.asus.com/...amp;modelmenu=1

Power supply: http://www.tigerdire...p;Sku=A107-1088

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It could be that the heatsink doesn't sit properly on the cpu and the cpu is overheating to such an extent that it shuts off the computer almost instantly. Check this first to avoid damage to the cpu.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It could also be the cpu overheating.
Did you put thermal paste on the cpu/heatsink? and how much?
Is the processor/ cpu seated correctly? no bent pins.
Is the heatsink and fan on properly/ seated?

bimbo36

bimbo36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

It could also be the cpu overheating.
Did you put thermal paste on the cpu/heatsink? and how much?
Is the processor/ cpu seated correctly? no bent pins.
Is the heatsink and fan on properly/ seated?

hmm i did put thermal paste on, but maybe not enough. I will apply some more and see what happens. I will let you know how it goes. thanks for the help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thermal paste should be applied very sparingly. Only a very thin layer on top of the cpu and bottom of the heatsink. Too much paste will get you negative results.

I don't believe that this is the problem. You can install a bone dry heatsink on the cpu and it won't shut off that fast. Take out the cpu and reseat it, checking first that no pins are bent or broken. Re-apply a very thin layer of thermal paste and re-seat the heatsink, making sure that it sits tight on top of the cpu. After installation try to twist it lightly sideways to make sure that it sits properly.