Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant login to windows normally

• Please log in to reply

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
When i turn on my computer it just sits there on a black screen, it shows the mouse pointer but it moves really laggy. It started the last time i was on it started getting really laggy and i could not click anything so i turned off by hand. So when i rebooted i got the black screen and laggy mouse. I can get into save mode just fine. So i dont know what the problem is. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Sounds like a driver issue. In Safe Mode, none of your hadware's drivers are loaded during start up. Since you don't have any problems in safe mode, there is a good chance one of those drivers is to blame.

Windows keeps a log of system events. This includes errors too. Try booting into Safe Mode and viewing the log. Click on Start, Control Panel, switch to Classic View (if you haven't already), click Administrative Tools, and then open the Event Viewer. In the event viewer, you'll see different types of logs in the left pane. When you click on a log, it's results are displayed in the right pane. Have a look at the log files. Anything in red is bad. You can click on any entry for more information. For some reason though, I'm thinking someone once told me you can't get to the Administrative Tools in Safe Mode. I'm still recommending this as a research option because I can't confirm it isn't so.

If you can't get to the logs, or if you don't see anything in them that looks suspicious, I would turn to those hardware drivers I mentioned earlier. To see if hardware is the problem, do the following.

Turn your computer off. Unplug the power cord from the wall and the back of the PC. Then, press it's power button to drain any static electricity left on any of those circuit boards. Open the PCs case (varies by design...you may need a screwdriver) and remove the daughter cards you don't need for your comptuer to run (sound card, modem, network card (NIC), USB and/or Firewire card, etc.). In addition, remove the data cables from your CD and DVD drives as well. Now, plug the PC back into the wall and turn it on. Allow it to boot normally. If the system comes up like it should, you know one of those pieces of hardware is to blame. If that's the case, turn the computer off, unplug the power cable from the wall and the back of the PC, press the power button to drain the static electricity, and hook up one of your CD drives. Plug the computer up and turn it on. Allow Windows to boot normally. If the system still runs normally, you know the CD drive is OK. Continue this process of elimination until Windows starts to malfunction. Then, you'll know what device is causing the problems.

If, however, you've removed all of the unecessary hardware and Windows still acts up, you know you have a software problem on your hand. That will be another post when we get there.

This should get your started though. After all, we can't fix it if we don't know whats broken, right?

Thanks,

Magus

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
ok well it fixed itself but it is doing it again,
when i go to safe mode it hangs on agp440.sys

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
found some info and found that it is a graphics drvier and windows tells you how to disable it, too bad i dont have my xp cd so i cant boot to the recovery console, does anyone have any ideas?

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Ok nvm i found it and everything seems ok for now, for anyone that cares the process was go to recovery console, type disable agp440, boot normaly and reinstall your graphics driver.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hey...Glad you got this working! I had a hunch it was a driver issue. Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, I've been out of town for a 10 year high school reunion.

Thanks,

Magus