Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excell HELP!

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
OK here is the deal, I am trying to track my income useing a spread sheet.

Now untill now I was paid by the mile and it was VERY simple to track. Just put in the miles and multiply it all out. I was getting within less that 1$ from my actuall pay.

Now I am paid per hour. What I am doing now is annoying as all can get. I have to figure in my head or on paper the exact amount of hours and mins I worked. Then input that and let excell do the math. Its added an extra step.

What I wanna do is simply type in the time I clocked in, and type the time I clocked out and excell figures the total time I worked and does all the math.

I cant seem to find a formula to do that for me. I have tired many different combinations, with no luck.
I want to enter my time in one cell only, not 2 or more cells. So if there is anyone that has an idea, hit me with it and lets see if it works!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi LiaoGoren.

Format the clock-in and clock-out cells as Custom (hh:mm). The cell that holds the calculation is formated as Number.

Here's the calculation:=((B2-A2)*24)*10

B2 = clock out
A2 = clolck in
*24 = converts time to decimal
*10 = plug in your hourly rate

This should work for you.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
THANKS!

ok That seems to work, but what do I do if I work past midnight?

I normally work 2pm-1030pm.

It does not seem to work when working past midnight ...lol

from what I can tell thats just something I am going to have to work around cause thats not just a number thing, thats a whole clock thing.

Any more suggestions?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Of course I have more suggestions!!

Format the clock-in and clock-out cells as Time (1:30 PM). The calculation is now: =(((B2-A2)-INT(B2-A2))*24)*10

This works for me. I put 8:00 pm as clock in and 2:00 am as clock out, with 10 as the hourly rate. I got 60.00.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Ok this is not seeming to let me give a detailed explanition of what Im looking for... cause I think I just need the conversion and im ok :)

I work mon-fri 2pm-1030pm
I dont clock out for lunch, but only get paid for 8 hours.
I also get paid for over time
I sometimes get 8 hours of holiday,vac, or sick pay with no lunch taken out... so heres my idea(this is just a condenced example :wave:)

a1=time in
a2=time out
a3=total time paid for( I need this formula where it figures for the 30min lunch, problem is when I dont work is shows as a neg number.... and cant find out how to stop that!)
a4=going to put an 8 if I get paid for day off cause this doesnt count for over time
Now there are 7 days a week so a-g look like that.
h1=total hours for week paid which could be more than 40 so I can figure overtime (this is easy for me!)
h2=total of holiday,sick,vac
h3=h1+h2*my pay = my total paycheck (gross)

If I can just get past the time and neg stuff I think I will be ok... lol

I think I just over explained a very very small easy fix.... lol thanks for your help!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Okay. Take a look at the attached.

Attached Files

• Attached File  LG.zip   1.68KB   209 downloads

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
That INT formula I dont understand how it works, but it seems to work wonders.... I think you just gave me the magic formula .... lol

THanks a TON!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad to help :)