Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router screwed my computer, totally confused

• Please log in to reply

Junkman

Junkman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Been running my new build with windows 2K for a couple of months now and it's been quite stable. We just got a new laptop and we're trying to figure out the best way to get both computers online, so we just bought a Linksys Broadband wireless router. We plug the motorola surboard cable modem into the router, and then connect with the laptop wirelessly. Then I try plugging the PC into the router with a stadard modem cable. I tried connecting to the internet with the PC but no luck, so I figure I'll restart and maybe have to change the connection settings. So I restart and try to start up explorer... and it loads for a bit and nothing happens. I go to control panel and click on network and connections, and nothing happens. So I restart the computer, and then I notice there is an icon missing from my system tray, the catalyst control centre (the drivers/software that comes with my GPU). And now I can't do anything on the computer. I can't start any programmes or even open folders. I've restarted many times, with "Last known good configuration" and still nothing works. Safe Mode does work, but that's no use to me.
I looked in the Task Manager processes list and see that some of the basic programs are listed twice, or using excessive amounts of RAM, like svhost using 64K. I looked up all the items I didn't recognise (unfortunately I'm not too familiar with the list on my relatively new PC, so I'm not sure if anything doesn't belong) but of all the items I didn't know the only one I can identify as possibly problematic is atkkbservice.exe.
So, basically I'm screwed. I'm totally perplexed as to how simply connecting to a router could cause this kind of problem, and obviously I have very few options for dealing with it. Thank god we go the internet working on the laptop so I can come here and ask for help. Please give me any help or advice you have, as my PC is worthless right now.
Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi junkman...

I have no idea how simply connecting a router would mess up your operating system, either.

The file you mention is an ASUS file for keyboards.

Try a Repair Installation of Win2000. Leave the router connected to the computer while you do this and the repair may make the necessary adjustments for you as it configures.

Let us know how this goes.

wannabe1

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Hi and welcome to geeks to go!

I have a couple of questions and a suggestion or 2.

Question 1 did you install new software on your computer so that you could connect to your new router? If so, can you uninstall it in safe mode?

Question 2 did you try to reboot without the cable in?

Question 3 do you have your recovery/install CD's for your OS and the "catalyst control centre"?
You may need to reinstall the "catalyst control centre" .... but not yet.

Basically anytime you install software or make a significant change to your system you could have conflicts happen that impact your performance. You do need to list what you did, so that we can begin undoing until we find the issue.

I know a fair amount about networking, so I'll look for a Windows 200 guru to help us out. {/EDIT apparently WANNABE1 types much faster than I do. I glad he's on board.... /END EDIT}

Edited by bobmad, 22 September 2007 - 05:16 PM.

Junkman

Junkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
The next morning, the computer was working fine. I decided to press my luck and try again, this time being super careful. Made sure all the power was unplugged to eveything and connected everything in the precise order the CD said. But once again, as soon as router and PC were connected, the PC went down. Eventually had to do a repair install to fix it. So that router ain't touching my PC again :) Still really curious what the problem is. I didn't install any new software or do anything at all with the PC other than plug in the router, the first time. I tried rebooting many times in safe mode, safe mode with networking and deleting all network connections, restarting with last good configuration between everything else. I fear I may never know the problem. Of course somehow I still have to figure out how to get PC and laptop connected at the same time, but right now I'm just happy I didn't lose everything on my PC, and also very reluctant to risk it again.
Thanks for the advice :wave:

Junkman

Junkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
OK, so the problem has returned, and it's worse now. After the repair install like a week ago, things were going OK, but there were still a few little glitches here and there. Then a couple days ago things went totally wrong again. But this time a repair install didn't work. After the initial phase of the install, the PC started restarting at a certain point while booting up windows. So I tried formatting the drive and installing from scratch, but still I get the same problem. And that's scary, cause if formatting the drive didn't stop it, that strongly suggests a hardware problem doesn't it? At one point I got this error message:

COM+ exception during installation OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION

d:\nt\com\com1x\src\complussetup\comsetup\ccomplus core.ccp
(line 565) error code = 0x80040206

--> impossible to register the event classes COM+

I looked it up on google and found some board with people talking about a virus back in 2003, and linking to a fix from microsoft. But the link doesn't work anymore, so that doesn't help me. It's also hard to believe it's a virus, when the problem occured as a result of connecting to the router, but I suppose the router may have just triggered it.

I know this is still far from extensive information, but I'm hoping it might help people suggest a fix? If it is a hardware problem, what would it be? Some com port on the motherboard? In which case is it screwed and would I need a new mobo?

Thanks.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Step 1) try this
Click on me
If no good
Step 2)
SYMPTOMS
When you try to install Microsoft Windows 2000, the setup process stops during the configuration of the Component Services administration tool.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:1. Press SHIFT+F10 to open the command prompt.
2. Type taskmgr, and then press ENTER to open Task Manager.
3. Click the Processes tab.
4. In the list of processes, click dllhost.exe, and then click End Process.

Note You may receive the following error message:
Com+ setup error Subcomponent com+ raised exception while processing the OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION setup message. ..\csetuputil.cpp (line 5468) error code = 0x80080005 server execution failed Setup was unable to populate the local computer collection.
If you receive this message, click OK.
5. At the command prompt, type Exit, and then press ENTER.
Windows 2000 setup continues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if no good
Step 3)
Try a fat32 format instead of NTFS
Any difference ?
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 01 October 2007 - 05:42 PM.