Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I need to upgrade my processor; I'm currently running a Pentium 4 1.7GHz processor on a Compaq Presario 5330US. I was thinking about either buying a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz Processor Pin 478 800 FSB or a Intel Core2 Duo E4400 Processor - 2.0GHz, 2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB, Conroe, OEM, Socket 775, HH80557PG0. Can I get some advice on the best one I can use? In addition, would it be possible for me to upgrade my Video Card? I'm currently running a 64MB nVidia GeForce2 MX Graphics Card.

Thanks!

Edited by Ghaleonh41, 22 September 2007 - 11:07 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Ghaleonh41! I have to admit, your computer is very old and it would not be very cost efficient to upgrade it as it stands.

I'm pretty sure your computer would be a socket 478, although it doesn't say on the Compaq website. If so, the most you could upgrade to would be a 2.20GHz processor, not a huge increase, and as it's an old technology, you possibly won't be able to buy one new, which means scouring second-hand stores for a non-faulty one... :)

Your graphics card is seated in an AGP (4x) slot, so as long as the upgraded graphics card meets this specification, it should be alright. AGP is also an outdated technology.

I don't know your budget limitations, but I personally feel it would be much better upgrading pretty much the whole rig - new motherboard, processor, RAM, video card, and power supply. You could possibly keep your current hard drive, optical (CD or DVD) drive, floppy drive, keyboard and mouse, monitor, speakers, and case. It would be possible to do this fairly cheaply, but again, considering your budget, I'll await your response.

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hmm. . . I already maxed out the RAM that it can hold to 1.5GB; I think it can hold a maximum of 3072MB according to Crucial.com's System Scanner, although that doesn't make sense b/c that's not what it was saying before I upgraded. As for the processor, is there anyway that I can find out for certain what the socket amount is?

Edited by Ghaleonh41, 23 September 2007 - 09:58 AM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
It seems like you should just get a new computer. A better Pentium 4 will not be that cost efficient as said by Troy. Also the AGP connection is going to hold you back. It would not be plausible to buy a card for an old computer with only AGP and not PCI-E x16.

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
That may be true, but it was the last gift my aunt gave me before she passed. Therefore, I intend to use the computer until I can no longer use it. It functions fine, just want to speed it up is all. In addition, I lack the funds to purchase another PC at this time.

Edited by Ghaleonh41, 23 September 2007 - 06:54 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If that is your objective then Linux might be for you. It will allow you do things such as internet browse and create text documents as fast as the next computer for as long as the hardware will live. It will allow you to keep most of the functionality but while using less rescources so the hardware you have goes further. I'm about to acquire a computer with simular specs as yours and that is what I plan to do with it.

If you still wish to try and upgrade we can help you with that. We do need know how much is being spent so we can be sure to get you the best value for your price range.

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm willing to spend about $200 or less to get a new motherboard.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
$200 just for the motherboard, or is that the budget for the whole lot?

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Primarily for the motherboard.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
And then what is your budget for the other parts? Just a new mobo won't help you much, as very few of your existing parts would work with it.