Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe does not load

• Please log in to reply

Phrank

Phrank

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,
I'm having a problem with explorer.exe on my desktop PC (windows XP)- it does not load at startup, and when I try to load it from the task manager, my icons and start bar blink on for a second or two and then disappear again. I recently had quite a few spyware infections and this problem did not start until after they were removed. I just downloaded hijackthis and I will check back.
Thanks!
Phrank

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi Phrank.

Chances are good that the malware infection damaged your XP installation beyond repair.

Be prepared to do an Install, Restore or Recovery to get XP fully working again.

Once XP is fully working, install these basic malware preventitive:

Essential XP Virus & Malware Protection - High Quality Freeware !
____

Phrank

Phrank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey there,
Thanks for your response, the only problem I have is that my computer is about 5 years old, I've moved 2 times since then and I've lost the windows XP CD somewhere along the way. I can only think of one solution - Would you suggest I buy a new copy of XP?
Thanks,
Phrank

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
No, don't but another copy of XP unless your PC is a hand-built desktop.

Replacement Restore/Installation/Recovery discs can be ordered from the PC manufacturer. You need to go to their web site (e.g., hp.com or dell.com) and navigate to Support, Customer Support or Technical Support. You need to find a link to a telephone number or a on-line "chat" session with a technical support representative. You may have to navigate thru many pages to find this information, but it will be there, somewhere.

Before contacting the Support person have these things at your fingertips:
1) The model name, e.g., Presario, Pavillion, Satellite, etc. This is usually clearly printed or embossed on the case.

2) The model number, e.g., NX6325, D1600, etc. For desktops this will usually be on the front of the case. For laptops this is usually printed on the deck above the keyboard.

3) The serial number. In the case of Dells this is called the "Service Tag". This identifies the exact model, features and date of manufacture to the PC company so they know exactly what internal components they are dealing with. For desktops this will be on a sticker on the back of the case. For laptops this will be on a sticker on the bottom of the PC.

4) You may need the XP registration number, but probably not. For desktops this is often found on its own sticker somewhere on the sides of the case in one corner or perhaps on the back of the case. For laptops the sticker would be on the bottom.
** Many PC manufacturers don't bother to put the XP registration number on the PC at all, so don't worry if you don't find it after looking thoroughly.

Replacement disc(s) typically run around $30 (USD), but I don't know whether that includes shipping & handling costs. At any rate, $30 is a real bargain!

** Keep in mind that a Restore/Recovery will most likely wipe out all your programs and any important files you have on the hard drive. If you want to back up your files you need to do this before restoration.