Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer is clso to start up with Xp

• Please log in to reply

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi, I’ve had my laptop for 1 year and half now and it used to be really fast on start up, probably taking around a minute but now it takes over 5 minutes to get fully loaded and this has only started to happen in the last 5 to 6 months. Does anyone know what the cause might be? I’ve only added a couple new programs during this period and I’ve tried to defragment the drives but this hasn’t worked either.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi stuartie_b! There are plenty of reasons why Windows would be starting slower...

First of all, to defrag your hard drive, try using JkDefrag - the link is in my signature. I find it to be a very powerful tool, it should be able to pull you out no worries.

Next, once Windows has started, right-click on the Task Bar and select Task Manager. With the Processes tab selected, how many processes are running? It tells you in the bottom-left corner, so don't worry about counting them all one-by-one!

Now we'll right-click on My Computer, select Properties. Under the General tab, please post the information listed there about your processor (eg. Pentium ® 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 2.99GHz) and your RAM (eg. 1.00 GB RAM).

Fourth, we'll get you to do a good malware check. Malicious Software (Viruses, Spyware etc...) is one of the leading causes of slow startup and running times. Follow all the instructions found in this link. It should take you a bit of time, depending on how much hard drive space (and files) you have, and the speed of your computer. If you have any problems, post in the Malware Forum asking for help. If after running all of those scans, nothing is found, then return to this thread and we can pursue further troubleshooting options. If anything is found, then make sure you post a log in the malware forum - instructions to do this are in the link I gave you. Once you are given a clean bill of health from the malware forum, if you are still having problems then return here and we can pursue other options.

Let us know how you go. :)