Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

can't boot after removing service pack 4

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I use windows 2000 pro and I uninstalled service pack 4 using add/remove programs. In the process of removing it a message came up with a list of hot fixes that may not work after removing it(yes, I know, hint, hint, maybe you shouldn't continue).
When windows starts loading I get a message that says: The procedure entry point IsWellKnownSid could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll. I click OK then another messsage imediately pops up saying the system process c:\windows\system32\services.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code 128 and windows shuts down after one minute.
I tried starting in safe mode to see if I could remove all the hot fixes and dow windows update again but the same thing still happens. I also tried starting with a previous configuration but made no difference.
I checked the microsoft web site and the only possible solution they came up with requires using regedit but not being able to finish bootting pretty much made that impossible. At this point would like to know if there is anything I can do or if anybody thinks it would just be best to re-install windows and start over.

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Kendor
I would try the repair method 1st.
You will need your 2000 cd & your product code. You should not loose data doing this.
If you have any data that is not backed up or you cannot afford to loose let me know and we will do a parallel install and get your data off. I have used the repair method many times and have not lost any data.
Click on me