Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

task manager processes

• Please log in to reply

sonobby1

sonobby1

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
hi i think this is slowing down my pc at a quick count i have 70 processes running in the task manager.
is this to much because i think it is.
should there only be a certain amount, is there a program that can sort them out.
i have no idea if they all should be running or not.
appreciate any help thanks
si

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I like to keep the processes on my task manager around 40-50.....Anymore than that and you obviously have to many applications starting up, viruses, or A LOT of programs installed.............

Take a look at my sig and download cleanup!, ad-aware Pro with adwatch, and windows startup inspector..Also download HijackThis don't have the link for this but shouldn't be hard to find this.

1) Install HijackThis and post the processes that it says you are currently running.....
2) Install Ad-aware and start adwatch..
3) Install Startup inspector and figure out which programs you don't need and uncheck them and then apply ur settings. After blocking them, most will stay blocked but some will try and start back up......the ones that start back go to that application and start it look through the options to try and stop them using the app.......

Work through this and try and get some stopped.....

Edited by Bobbydoo8, 23 September 2007 - 05:34 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Sysinternals free Process Explorer is a big help with all this: http://www.microsoft...ssexplorer.mspx

WinPatrol is my favorite start-up contol program: http://www.winpatrol.com/

As I type this response on my laptop, I have 30 processes running, including Opera, Process Explorer, and several others that belong to Comodo firewall, A-squared anti-malware, SpywareGuard, and AVG anti-virus. All told 14 of the 30 are my protection and monitors.

For much of what I have learned about controlling my processes, with web addresses of useful tools and informational sites, see my Vox: http://doc1101.vox.com/

The "links" are not "live." Copy and paste the URLs to your browser's address bar to view the referenced pages. No spyware, no ads, no donation link, nothing to buy, just info.

sonobby1

sonobby1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks doc this is really helpful, so what ive done is ive downloaded the winpatrol and its working.
but my problem is i dont know what to remove from the processes?
ok i read there it will stop malware etc, but in my processes i have lots of normal programs in there, some that i dont use every day, etc, doesnt win patrol tell you you can close this and close that because there not needed, or can you tell me what i can and cant remove from my processes.

as an example i got stuff like
googletoolbarnot
vspn2std.exe
qttask.exe
soundman.exe
lexpps.exe
spoolsy.exe
wanmpsvc.exe
and many more that i dont know if they should be there or not
look forward to your reply, many thanks
si

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Good list of sites to check out processes on my Vox. Visit a place like Process Library, and type or paste in the name of the process you need to know about. I use several different ones to gain better understanding. I also then google them to read more.

I just did that with lexpps.exe and found out that it belongs to your printer. If you don't need that to start up with Windows, "disable" it in the WinPatrol 'start-up control' section.

sonobby1

sonobby1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok thanks doc i get the idea now, appreciate it
si

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Cool! Rock on! :-)

Post back anytime, but please start a new thread for new problems, OK?
If you want my input on a new thread, send me a PM with a link.