Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How Do I hide my Name on my site from :WhoIs search

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
How Do I hide my Name on my site from :WhoIs search

?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Nope. Not as long as the domain is registered to you. But why do you want to hide?

Ron

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Search your registrar's site for privacy guard of something similar

-Ryan

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
If I had to do a "whois" search on a site, I would want all the info to be good and valid.
The point is, I am dealing with a questionable site that charged my card for $5.00. The site only sells items at a price of 5 cents below the dollar. The whois search gave unscrupulous info. I have sent it to the Attorney General because I believe it to be a scam site.

To answer your question, I wouldn't do it! not if you want people to believe it is a legit site.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

To answer your question, I wouldn't do it! not if you want people to believe it is a legit site.

actually...if you use privacy guard....or something to that effect through your hosting company...the whois info won't show up as fictional or made up info...it will show up as being private info and there will be instructions to contact the hosting company....you can then request a form from the hosting company to request the ownership information...the hosting company then asks you if it's ok to give out your info at which point you either do or you dont...or at least that's how it works with my registrar

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Thats how its supposed to work with all registrars. Its not impossible to get that information, but its just not immediately available.