Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd drive and cd drive

• Please log in to reply

Anthraqz

Anthraqz

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
okay so i got my cd drive and dvd drive both hooked up at the same time, i had been using just the DVD drive for abouta year, but now they dont work together, they both open and stuff but only the cd drive works. =/

i read the manual of the dvd drive and it said if using 2 drives at once set both to master or slave, so i set them to slave and they still didnt work so im very confused..
how come my dvd drive doesnt work now and my cd drive does?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Anthraqz!

Either the manual is wrong, or you read it wrong - One drive needs to be set as Master, and the other needs to be set as Slave. This is done by adjusting the jumpers on the back of each drive.

Hope this helps.

Anthraqz

Anthraqz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
i know that but i already did that the first time and it still didnt work..im not sure whats going on either =/
the dvd drive just wont read disks at all..
i'll try setting one as master and one as slave tomorrow and i'll keep you posted too.

last time i set the dvd drive to master so maybe i'll set it to slave this time.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If the DVD drive won't read discs, then I'm guessing it is faulty. Are you able to boot the computer to a bootable cd or dvd in the drive? (An example of this would be a linux live cd)

Anthraqz

Anthraqz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
ok so i just tried it again and well now both my cd drive and my dvd drive dont work, maybe its the way i have my ide and power cables but im not sure.

im trying to go back to the way it was where they were both kinda connected but only the dvd drive worked.
right now the dvd drive is set to master and connected to my hard drives powercable and ide cable...should it be?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You should only have optical drives on one cable and hard drives on one cable. Don't mix the two.

Maybe try just connecting one only (completely disconnect the other for now) and see if it works. Then disconnect it and connect the other, see if the other one works. If they both work, we'll look at getting them connected right.

Anthraqz

Anthraqz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
alright thanks, i'll try it tomorrow, thanks

Anthraqz

Anthraqz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
i fixed it thanks for the advice!

you can now close this if you want

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Great! Thanks for letting us know - can I just ask exactly what it was that solved your problem? It may help future readers with a similar problem. :)

Anthraqz

Anthraqz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
well i had to unhook one of my 2 hard drives, use that ide cable for my master cd drive, then hook up my other cd drive to the ide cable off of my master hard drive. and to hook up my slave hard drive i had to hook it up to a connector on the strip of an ide cable, so its just kind of sitting on my wires in my computer, hopefully you understand, its the only way i know how to explain it haha