Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop/XP problem

• Please log in to reply

Dirty-Alfonzo

Dirty-Alfonzo

• Pip
  • 9 posts
There are two problems that I am having with my computer and I can't figure out what they are.

1.) My screen saver doesn't turn on. It goes to my screen saver, but then it quickly turns it off and goes right back to my desktop. I have tried changing all the settings but nothing seems to do the trick

2.) When I put my laptop to sleep, it shuts down fine. When I try to turn it back on by pushing the power button, it begins to boot up but then it just stops and shuts down. I have to hold down the power button to completely shut it down and restart it.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and run Windows Xp pro. I know this is probably a simple problem, but I cannot figure it out.

I have ran AVG, Spy sweeper, and also have zone alarm and nothing comes up when I run those.

Thank you for all your help

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Probably caused by something you've got running.

2) Usually caused by a driver incompatibility. A better option may be to hibernate, and usually by default just closing the lid will send the laptop into hibernation.

Dirty-Alfonzo

Dirty-Alfonzo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've tried that too, and it won't boot up when I push the on button

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Does it only do this in Standby and/or Hibernation? Does it do it if you do a normal shut down?

Dirty-Alfonzo

Dirty-Alfonzo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No, if I shut down it turn on just fine. It only happens in hibernate or standby