Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SETTING UP NEW HARD DRIVE! ARRRRGHHH!

• Please log in to reply

lagunatom

lagunatom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi guys, was having a problem and tried all i could to fix it. was wondering if anyone here had a solution.

windows xp isnt recognizing my new 500gb sata seagate hd. it shows the drive on bootup, but when i try to install windows on that drive, it says it couldnt be detected.

i have a soyo brand motherboard (model "2y-p4i 845pe"), windows xp service pack 2.

i currently have another 80gb ide hd that works perfectly fine, and when i boot from that one windows still doesnt detect the new 500 one.

i would appreciate any help! :)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you booted up using the CD that came with the drive to see if it can be detected and formatted, being very careful not to format your current C: drive? It may be that you have to install drivers for it on XP. I know that when I put a SATA drive in an XP machine Windows had to download the correct drivers from the Microsoft website. Also, you can look for it in Disk Management, that might be the first place to try.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You probably need to press F6 when prompted and feed it a driver from a floppy disk before it'll see the hard drive.

lagunatom

lagunatom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
the problem is that it didnt come with a cd, when i bought it it came in a celephane bag by itself

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need a CD.

Go to the website of the people who made your motherboard and download a SATA RAID driver for XP Setup for your particular model. Put them on a floppy disk and see my earlier post in this thread.