Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP no input after reboot, but devices on

• Please log in to reply

orangekangaroo

orangekangaroo

• Pip
  • 7 posts
OK I installed pinnacle studio 9. On reboot everything seems ok BUT no mouse cursor comes up and even though the keyboard light is on pressing any of the keys does nothing. Even worse is a found new hardware icon that comes up and then a whole dialog box pops up saying USB input device found (both mouse/KB are usb but thats never been a problem...ie its something the software did to windows) but since I have no input device I can't click finish to load the drivers!!
I tried booting with the mouse and kb out and putting it in once the desktop comes up, I tried putting in a 2nd mouse and that didn't work. It sucks because the lights on the mouse come on...but nobody's home since the cursor never comes up. I tried with a ps/2 keyboard and I got an error saying the device could't be initialized, and that error box wanted me to hit finish to start a troubleshooter, which of course I can't do until my computer learns telepathy.

The keyboard works in the bios and boot up menus, I can move around the start up menu and boot into safe mode or whatever but it still doesn't work once windows loads.

HELP

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
boot into safe mode, drop into device manager, delete all of the USB host controllers and root hubs, reboot

remove the pinnacle studio device first

orangekangaroo

orangekangaroo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
gerryf,

thanks for responding. As I mentioned near the end of my post...I can select whatever I want (meaning kb physically works) in the boot menu but once xp begins loading (in regular, safe, last config that worked, debug or any other mode...I tried them all) I have no input. So I am, of course, unable to navigate to the device manager.

I feel that my only option is through the recovery console somehow to edit the boot.ini or registry or else restore drivers from the install cd but I really don't know what I'm talking about so hopefully somebody will jump in with some type of brilliant idea....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm sorry...missed that

thought you said it would work in safe mode, but I misread.

Did you try last known good configuration in the boot menu?

orangekangaroo

orangekangaroo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thats ok, appreciate your suggestions.
Its all in there...just hidden
"regular, safe, last config that worked, debug or any other mode..."
lol
yeah I tried that too... :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, been on here too long today...

wow, that is a problem....this is the second time in two weeks someone had a very serious issue after a pinnacle load...making me have doubts about the product.

OK. (shakes head to wake up)

the Ps2 keyboard not initialze error...occured....when? In windows or at POST?

orangekangaroo

orangekangaroo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
no again in windows. its terrible because the lights come on the kb and the mouse turns on but then they don't actually work. I mean the num lock light is on but I can't turn it off...etc. The ps/2 keyboard error comes up after windows boots, in the same manner as the usb human interface device found comes up....but I can't click on the bloody button.

I can tell it wants to work...when hardware like this has been found before usually the keyboard works and as soon as I press the finish button [is right in front of me as we speak...just sitting there mocking me....grrrr] the cursor appears and everything is fantastic.

Similarly when I try with a ps/2 kb it offers to start a troubleshooter but of course it wants me to press the [bleep] button to figure out why none of my inputs that push buttons work.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
What if you turn of the usb devices in bios, then boot into windows, then drop back into bios and turn the usb device back on?

that ps2 keyboard error is very odd