Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe password incorrect

• Please log in to reply

kushty

kushty

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I have a problem with my wife's laptop. When trying to boot normally I get this message: ""System error: Lsass.exe

"When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct."

...and then my machine restarts and tries again, and again. etc.

I do have a boot disk cd. But when I select the "R" option to get to the recovery console it asks for the password. We had no password, when we click enter without a password it tells us incorrect password. It gives us 3 attempts then we have to go back to windows and the same problem. Is there a password we can use to get in? If we try in safe mode the same thing happens as a normal boot. Is there some kind of anti virus boot disk that we can use to get rid of the "Worm" preferably that doesn't use the floppy as the laptop does't have one.

Kushty

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
thank you for starting a new thread

Download the following,
http://home.eunet.no...rdahl/ntpasswd/

You will have to burn a cd on another machine and then use this to reset the password. It is best to reset the password to NOTHING (meaning leave it blank)

Follow the instructions as they are a little counter-intuitive as I recall.

kushty

kushty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Gerryf,

I have tried that twice still no good. All passwords set to blank. Could it be that exploited lsass.exe file will not let the passwords be changed? Is there a way of replacing lsass.exe with a good one befor windows boots. With say, a win98 boot disc to get to a command prompt? Or to delete any files that may be causing the problem.

Kushty

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I think I misread your first post.....this error is occuring before you reach a log-in screen.

Ughh... got to do some digging....I hate this error

mikes donuts

mikes donuts

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Kushty,

Here is some info and a link that may help.

lsass - lsass.exe - Process Information
Process File: lsass or lsass.exe
Process Name: Local Security Authority Service

Description:
lsass.exe is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies. Note: lsass.exe also relates to the Windang.worm, irc.ratsou.b, Webus.B, MyDoom.L, Randex.AR, Nimos.worm which spread via floppy disk drives, mass-mailing and peer-to-peer sharing. Please review file path for clarification of this.

This link has more about the worm (s) you may have

Security task manager

There are also links on that page to Symantec and Mcafee with removal info.

Here is another link that tells you how to get your computer up and running enough to disinfect it.

What are "LSASS", "LSASS.EXE" and "Sasser" and how do I know if I'm infected? What do I do if I am?

Rgds,

Mikes Donuts :tazz:

Edited by mikes donuts, 16 April 2005 - 08:48 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this is not a worm issue...the worm creates reboots.

If I understand this correctly, you are getting this error before you even get to a logon screen?

This indicates a corrupt registry. You need your Windows XP cd, and you need to load into the recovery console to recover earlier registry snapshots.

Take a look here and see if you can follow along

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

kushty

kushty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks guys,

Problem solved....... :tazz:

Kushty

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
What solved it?

zackwz

zackwz

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I type in the administrator password, but it says it's not valid, what shall i do? I had the same lsass.exe problem.

zackwz

zackwz

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i just press enter since the administrator password should be blank

shortman

shortman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been having this same problem lately I downloaded that cd to reset passwords, set them to be blank, but they never take affect, I cannot get to the logon screen either, but have used the XP disk to repair, when it tries getting to the DOS prompt, it asks for the Admins password, which I set to have it blank but does not work, and My computer doesn't have a floppy disk drive, is there a way to go around this, like using a win2000 disk or something that doesn't ask for the password?