Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think it might be a hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Okay, bit of background history, might be a little bit of use.

A bit under 2 months ago my computer crashed, i can't remember exactly why, I think it was a corrupted system32 file. I plugged my harddrive into another computer and booted it up from it's drive and just took all the files i needed off of my broken HDD.

On the 'broken' HDD i just formatted it and reinstalled windows onto it and then transferred the files back. This seemed to fix the problem, but then like 3 days later it crashed again in the exact same way. I done the exact same thing as before, and it stayed working this time.

Now just today my computer crashed again, but not in the same way. It hadn't been on the internet all day - I went to go find something to do so i opened Flash MX. It gave me an error message saying some dll file was corrupt. I just thought "mmk, i'll reinstall it later" because i'd never actually opened that program since install, so i thought something must have gone wrong there. Then i get an error message saying that firefox had a corrupted file too, so i started getting a little freaked out. A few seconds after that little messages started popping up saying stuff about corrupted system files. I squealed and restarted my computer. When it tried to start up i got an error saying "Error loading operating system". Yeah, i didn't get a Blue Screen of Death =(

So i chucked in a windows 98 setup disc so i could do fdisk and stuff. When i looked at fdisk, it didn't seem to recognise the C: it wasn't there. It only showed the A drive. I thought maybe it's decided the C: is the A: now, so i checked what was the the "A" drive, and it was like the temp files or something from the windows setup disc.

At this point i decide that my HDD is screwed, and i cry. I restarted my computer again and at the startup thing where it detects the IDE drive, it lists my Samsung HDD, so i'm just confused. I'm going to try putting the HDD into another computer to see if i can access, but i really wanna know what the problem is. Think it's a harddrive problem, and should i buy a new one, or is it software or what?

Oh, the other day msn made me update it. Once i'd done this the msn messenger program itself started lagging up and just being real bad a lot. Like, someone would send me an IM, and when i clicked on the taskbar thingo to open it, the mouse would turn into it's little loading thingo and i'll hafta wait for it to load up and stuff and it would generally be real bad. Like just lag up in the middle of me typing a message and stuff. Strange thing is that while this was happening i could still use any other program perfectly, it was just msn being crappy.

Some specs:

Processor - 3.4ghz Pentium D
OS - Windows XP
Video - nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 256mb
HDD - 200gb 7200rpm Samsung SP2014N (I think)
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-8VM800M-775 Intel Motherboard

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Seltox!

A few things to try, as I believe the problem may not be your hard drive, but a problem in the way it is accessed:

1) Visit the Gigabyte website and update your BIOS.
2) Try changing the IDE data cable with another one, could be faulty. Also try connecting it to another port on the motherboard, if one is available.
3) Try running memtest86 to test your memory, if it's faulty it could be causing these problems.

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible.

4) Run Samsung's hutil.exe utility, this will check if your hard drive is faulty or not. Have a look here. You will need to create a bootable floppy disk (Format it under Windows XP, select the "enable boot disk" or "copy system files" check, it says something like that). Then copy the extracted files from hutil.exe download onto the floppy disk and reboot. It should boot to the floppy disk and end up with an old command prompt. This is where you simply type in "hutil.exe" and press enter, the utility should run.

Any more help, let me know. :)

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Okay, just curious about how updating my BIOS will help, seeing as the computer ran fine for about 8 months straight before any sort of problems came up. And how would this corrupt files and such?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
There might be a known problem with the motherboard detecting the hard drive sometimes, and a BIOS update may have been made available to help fix it. Just a suggestion to try. :)