Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video card

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I need a new video card for my computer, but i only have an AGP slot.

I do quite a bit of gaming on my computer, playing games like Dawn of War, Battlefield 2, Company of Heroes, etc. Right now i have a nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 256mb, but it's not actually mine and i have to return it soon.

I'm not sure whether to spend the extra money to buy a better motherboard that supports PCI-e or just get a really good AGP.

If i were to get an AGP i'd want something kinda like this http://www.mvktech.n...t/view/3368/39/

And if i were to get a new motherboard, i'd want it to have 4 slots for ram, supporting at least 8gb, and has to support a pentium D processor. Preferably with integrated networking-ness.

Any suggestions and/or ideas?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi Seltox! Good to see another Australian on these boards... :)

In all seriousness, it's probably not recommended to spend too much on your AGP any more, as it's old technology. I strongly recommend you upgrade your motherboard also. Something like what I'm ordering is nice, but I'm not sure of your budget. You may have to upgrade your RAM also.

Can you provide information on your budget, and your current system (make/model of components)?

Why do you need the motherboard to support 8GB RAM - are you intending to use 64-bit operating systems and actually put the whole 8GB in?

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Some specs:

Processor - 3.4ghz Pentium D
OS - Windows XP
Video - nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 256mb
HDD - 200gb 7200rpm Samsung SP2014N (I think)
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-8VM800M-775 Intel Motherboard
RAM - only 1gb currently, i plan on trying to get 4gb in there as soon as possible, and will most likely upgrade that again before another new motherboard - thus the 8gb support.
Power Supply - Not exactly sure. It isn't that great, but yeah, 400w i think
dvd - ASUS dvd-rw

As for a budget, i'm a 16 year old who lives in the middle of nowhere, and i've spent waaay too much on concert tickets this year. I don't have a job right now, but i'm going to apply for a part time job at my local computer store soon i think. My budget isn't that big right now, but i'm willing to wait around a bit. Probably don't want to spend more than AUD$150-200 on any parts. (that's like max of $400 for video card and motherboard). But i think my HDD is on it's way out, so i might need to cut that back even more right now.

--Hope this is the info you're looking for =p

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Okay, well it just might suit your budget and your needs to upgrade to an AGP card, although I wouldn't want to spend too much at all. Here's some comments I have from your post:

1) If I were you, I would only bother upgrading to 2GB RAM, as 32-bit OS can only "see" (and therefore, use) about 3.25GB meaning the rest would be sitting there unused. (i.e. waste of money). If you have 64-bit, then it will see all of it. 2GB should be plenty enough, though, because more RAM does not equal a faster computer. It just allows you to do more things at once (or run big applications easier). If you want your computer to go faster, consider getting faster speed RAM. For example, if your motherboard supports PC-3200 (DDR 400) RAM at the fastest, check and make sure it's this. Do you have 2 slots or 4 in your current motherboard? If you have 2 slots and both are full (2x512MB sticks), then I really wouldn't bother upgrading this at all, as you're going to have to chuck them and purchase 2x1GB sticks.

2) If your hard drive is a Samsung, go to the Samsung website and find the drive test utility (under the support section). You can use it to create a bootable disk which will check your hard drive - if any errors are found, your Samsung is faulty. If no errors are found, then it's likely your hard drive is fine and the problem is somewhere else. Why do you "think" your hard drive is on the way out?

3) Power supplies... One of my favourite things to pick up on... If you say it isn't that great, then it's not. :) Without a good power supply, many problems can and will go wrong. If you are going to upgrade your graphics card, it will require more power, and most of the time when people upgrade, it pushes them over the limit and it causes all sorts of problems. Unfortunately, I can only recommend that if you run any more upgrades, your PSU should be the first one. Without a good power supply, your computer will only make a fancy door-stop.

4) And of course, the graphics card. If your budget is around $200 for the graphics card, I would look for an Nvidia 7600GT or an ATI Radeon X1650 Pro. A quick search reveals that these can be found for around that price, but if you're in the middle of nowhere, it could be a bit tricky for you to get your hands on one at this price. One of these should give you reasonably good performance, and definitely would be a nice upgrade.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I have 2x512 mb sticks and they're DDR400 (at least that's what it says when it's starts up. DIMM speed is 400 or something).

Power supply - yeah, i tried putting in a CD burner as well, to make copying CD's easier, and after that, my HDD wasn't getting enough power and my computer wouldn't boot (obivously). So i took that burner out and it all worked fine.

Suggestions on a power supply?

I'll go check out that samsung site now, and get back to you on it. Oh, and i made a topic about my HDD. Read it if you wish.

~~Thanks for all your help =)

--Checked the site and i'm not exactly sure what i'm meant to get and what to do with it. Help me? =)

Edited by Seltox, 24 September 2007 - 07:11 AM.