Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help about computer ram

• Please log in to reply

jaydoh82

jaydoh82

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hello, under my properties tab it says i have 512mb of ram but when i pulled out the memory stick to see how much i really had it said 256mb. why is that? Please help...

Edited by jaydoh82, 24 September 2007 - 03:17 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi jaydoh82, welcome to Geeks to Go!

I'm interested, why didn't you trust it in the first place? What made you pull the stick out and double check? Just curious... :)

Anyway, if the properties tab reported 512MB, then it must be there somewhere... Either the stick you looked at had 256MB on each side (equalling 512MB), or there's another 256MB stick in there as well. Anyway, it's easy to tell - put everything in together again and start your computer. Navigate to the Crucial website and click on the "Scan My System" button, and it will give you a report about how much RAM is in your system and how it is installed (i.e. it will tell you if you have 2x256MB sticks or 1x512MB stick, or whatever you have).

Let us know the report results. :wave:

jaydoh82

jaydoh82

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi jaydoh82, welcome to Geeks to Go!

I'm interested, why didn't you trust it in the first place? What made you pull the stick out and double check? Just curious... :)

Anyway, if the properties tab reported 512MB, then it must be there somewhere... Either the stick you looked at had 256MB on each side (equalling 512MB), or there's another 256MB stick in there as well. Anyway, it's easy to tell - put everything in together again and start your computer. Navigate to the Crucial website and click on the "Scan My System" button, and it will give you a report about how much RAM is in your system and how it is installed (i.e. it will tell you if you have 2x256MB sticks or 1x512MB stick, or whatever you have).

Let us know the report results. :wave:

Thanks! I pulled the stick out because i wanted to upgrade in the first place. which i already did. you were right, for some reason i can only pull out 1 out of the 2 sticks on my laptop. why is that and why is the other one hidden? i want to pull both out so i can sell them. thanks for your help!

Edited by jaydoh82, 24 September 2007 - 10:22 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It's probably "hidden" unintentionally, just so the laptop manufacturer can fit everything in (laptops are jammed together to fit in such a small place). Can you provide the make/model of your laptop? If you can find it, a link to the manufacturer's support webpage might be handy also.

jaydoh82

jaydoh82

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

It's probably "hidden" unintentionally, just so the laptop manufacturer can fit everything in (laptops are jammed together to fit in such a small place). Can you provide the make/model of your laptop? If you can find it, a link to the manufacturer's support webpage might be handy also.

sure. it is a Compaq Presario X1010US Notebook PC.

http://h10025.www1.h...n...228&lang=en

I upgraded yesterday to a 1GB RAM memory. I want to upgrade my video memory next but i'm not sure where it's located to install one. I have 32MB DDR SDRAM. Do you think it's necessary? Thanks for the help! :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well seeing as it's a laptop, it may not be possible to upgrade the video card. In my opinion it would well and truly not be worth it, even if it was possible for your laptop.