Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS blocking a spcific website from all web browsers installed

• Please log in to reply

jmcconkey

jmcconkey

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi,

For the last couple of weeks I have been having an issue that I thought at first was a web browser issue. However, I am now thinking it is an OS issue. I use the following website for work alot, www.Loopnet.com. This website all of the sudden would not load in IE 6.0, but it would in Firefox. But then Firefox stopped the next day on this site. I then tried it in AOL OpenRide and it would not work either. I then upgraded to IE 7.0, and it does not work either. It's a normal website (used in real estate). It also works fine on my other other computers? I was thinking a DNS problem, so I tried to enter only the IP address and that does not work either. Also, I can ping both the URL and the IP address from my command prompt and I get all good replys. I cant find any settings in the browsers that would stop it from loading. There must be something going on within XP SP2 that is blocking the ste. Any ideas?

BTW, not that this site is bad or anything, but I do not have any net nanny type of software installed either.

Thanks

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I had no problem in FF. Not sure if it is a problem with the blacklist for each browser as I don't know if AOL's OpenRide uses a blacklist from SORBS. Why this has happened recently is strange too. Might try adding the URL into all Options for Popups/Ads/Images and set it to Allow. Then see how it works.

I have a friend in Tennessee and evey one using Comcast is not allowed to use Firefox. SORBS has blocked the entire block of 68.52.* and Firefox uses SORBS' blacklist. He called Comcast and they would not discuss the matter. Just told him to use another browser. Micro$oft kinda blocked the Opera browser back in 2001 by using a separate stylesheet just for it that really messed up the pages when on M$' site.

Might check out the SORBS site and see if something like this happened.

Ron

jmcconkey

jmcconkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
It wouldn't be an issue with the ISP blacklisting it. Because the site comes up on my other computers on the same router going to Verizon. So thats not the issue. The site will not load in any browswer. I only use IE and FF, but like I said earlier I did try it on AOL just to see if it would work. It seems there has to be something within the computer that is not allowing that site to load on this pc on any browser....and I am lost trying to figure it out. Like I said before I have no "net Nanny" type of software installed...and I dont see any setting in the browser that would kill it either.

J0hn

J0hn

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Maybe your host file is blocking the link?

Located in the following directory.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

127.0.0.1 www.Loopnet.com

Open up the host file with notepad. Try and find an entry that looks like the above. If it is, then delete the whole line and ONLY that line and save it. Do not rename the host file, better yet just press ctrl-s to save it. Now try and access the website. If that doesn't work, you can try the following options.

There are some websites that needs cookies, javascript, and especially java to function correctly. Make sure all of them are enabled in your browser, then try and access the site again.

If that doesn't work then you can try this. Uninstall one of your browsers like Firefox and delete everything related to Firefox including its files and folders, then install a fresh new copy of Firefox and try to access the website again. If it does the same thing, then I have no idea what's going on with your computer. I would recommend getting a free anti-virus and anti-spyware software removal tool online, install it in your computer and scan your computer to see if you are infected with any worms.

Or another short alternative is you can do a free computer scan over at Trend Micro. Here is the link: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

A few nice selections for free anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. If the moderators or admins delete the links, you can private message me for the links if you like.

Free antivirus software-----http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/
Free anti-spyware----------http://www.snapfiles.com/get/adaware.html
HijackThis-------------------http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html (for advance users, but if you do use it make sure you do a scan and post the log files here in the correct thread so the people can guide you through it.

Best of luck to you.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something that can cause this is an incorrect address in the DNS cache, and all you have to do is clear the cache. It will be rebuilt as you go to websites so doing this causes no problems.

Go to Run, type in cmd and hit OK, the when the command window opens type in

ipconfig /flushdns

and hit enter.