Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard overheating

• Please log in to reply

fevkalbeser

fevkalbeser

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard which I think holds the world record in overheating :) Both in bios and pc status monitoring softwares (i.e. everest) the minimum temperature of the motherboard is 60 °C (at the moment 64 °C for example, even though only internet explorer is working) That seems to be a big problem, but I couldn't manage to overcome it. I have 2 case fans operating at 2700rpm (which I couldn't change). I also tried to make the airflow better, but that seems to have no effect. By the way currently my CPU is at 49°C and the GPU at 61°C. What should I do? I am using this computer about 10 months and I just realized this problem. Interestingly no problems occurred until yesterday I used a software to convert a divx file to dvd, which used CPU power for a long period of time. I tried using Intel QST option in the bios in order to increase the fan speed when the computer overheats but it just did the opposite and minimized fan speeds no matter how hot it is. Thanks in advance...

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
What CPU do you have? Also what is your vid card?

fevkalbeser

fevkalbeser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @2400MHz
ATI Radeon X1900XT (256MB)

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
1. Take the cover/side panel off your computer and have a regular house blow into it. I have used this air purifier to blow into my rig in the past. If you do all that extreme stuff that you do while running the fan and it still crashes then their is nothing you can do, not even liquid cooling. If it is still running or you are just to lazy to think up a good stress test for your rig then just download and run Prime95. http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=103

If the problem is solved by the big house fan or air blowing device then:
2. Go into your BIOS and see if you can change the fan speed in there.
3. Fill any empty spots for fans, fan mounts.
4. Get a slot fan. It looks like this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835117010

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

1. Take the cover/side panel off your computer and have a regular house blow into it.

I didn't know houses could blow? :)

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
ha ha. :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What is the temperature in your house?

fevkalbeser

fevkalbeser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
@jackflash1991
I had already tried something similar to that house blow thing, and it worked (dropped the temperature by 20°). And instead of Prime95, I ran a program called OCCT for half an hour. During the process the motherboard temp. climbed up to a maximum of 67°, while cpu was only 60°. However after the process the program said my computer is stable. I also looked at bios but I couldn't find a way to change the fan speed. I isolated all empty spots for fans, I think that made a 1 or 2 degrees difference. And finally, istead of a slot fan, I'm thinking of buying a northbridge heatsink. Would that solve the problem?

@Titan8990
Generally about 25°C.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
The northbridge heatsink might work but if the air is not getting circulated enough, air in air out, the northbridge heatsink will just push around the hot air. The hot air will just get hotter and hotter and the computer will eventually crash. If the case as a whole is cool, circulating the air sufficiently, and it is just the northbridge that is giving you the problem then it would help.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It sounds like all your temps are high. Is this a prebuilt like dell, HP, etc? or home built comp? What is the HD temp? Run HD Tune in my signature.
Are all the cables positioned to allow good air flow?
Are all the vents open? no restrictions?

I would suspect that this com is still warranty (if prebuilt). If so, question where you got it from.

Advertisements

fevkalbeser

fevkalbeser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No it is not prebuilt, I picked up the parts and it was assembled in a computer store by a technician. I used HD Tune, it shows that my 160GB Samsung HDD is at 39°C while 120GB Seagate HDD is at 43°C, and overall they are healthy. And below is a report of Everest that show the current temperatures in my computer:

Temperatures:
Motherboard...................................64 °C (147 °F)
CPU...............................................48 °C (118 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1...........................57 °C (135 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2...........................57 °C (135 °F)
GPU...............................................59 °C (138 °F)
GPU Ambient..................................54 °C (129 °F)
GPU VRM........................................68 °C (154 °F)
SAMSUNG SP1614C.........................41 °C (106 °F)
Seagate ST3120026AS.....................44 °C (111 °F)

Edited by fevkalbeser, 26 September 2007 - 05:44 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Can you post a picture of the inside of your PC? If you can try to show where your fans are located and the direction they are blowing. Because of every item being a bit on the hot side, we are thinking that there is something wrong with your air flow. Double check to make sure that all your fan are spinning. Also make sure no fan vents a clogged with dust.

fevkalbeser

fevkalbeser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Here is a picture. The fans are all working, and I frequently clean many parts of the computer including them.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_003011.jpg

Edited by fevkalbeser, 26 September 2007 - 07:47 AM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
That is a weird looking case.
You only have 2 fans for the whole case. Good god man you need more fans. Look around the case and see if you can install some more case fans as located by the arrows on my pic. You need more airflow. If there is no way you can hook up a fan to the case then get a slot fan.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_003011.jpg

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I think it would be best to move your intake back fan. Keep it intaking but I would put it in the front or top like in Jack's picture but you won't want to exaust out the front. What brand are the case fans? Many fans are made to run quiet as opposed to maximum cooling. I would go ahead and open your empty PCI slots. Here is a picture to show what I am speaking of:

Posted Image

Download Speedfan here: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php.

Compare the readings there with your Everest readings.

Also check the BIOS overclocking options. Many Gigabyte boards start with an "auto" overclocking option by default in the BIOS. Make sure that everything is running at its stock speed.

Edited by Titan8990, 26 September 2007 - 11:07 AM.