Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard overheating

• Please log in to reply

fevkalbeser

fevkalbeser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I think I solved the problem! I changed the place of one of the hard disk drives and some cables and here is the report of Everest after a 10 minute running of TAT:

Temperatures:
Motherboard................................48 °C (118 °F)
CPU............................................58 °C (136 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1........................71 °C (160 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2........................71 °C (160 °F)
GPU............................................59 °C (138 °F)
GPU Ambient................................54 °C (129 °F)
GPU VRM.....................................67 °C (153 °F)
SAMSUNG SP1614C......................39 °C (102 °F)
Seagate ST3120026AS..................41 °C (106 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU...........................2039 RPM
System......................2150 RPM
Power Supply..............2974 RPM

Edited by fevkalbeser, 26 September 2007 - 12:19 PM.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Your CPU now looks a little hot for a Core 2 Duo.

Edited by jackflash1991, 26 September 2007 - 12:22 PM.

fevkalbeser

fevkalbeser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah now that's what bothers me :) If I can manage to reduce the core temps to about 50 degrees when idle (which are about 59-60 now) I'll be convinced that my computer has no problems :wave:

fevkalbeser

fevkalbeser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I installed speedfan and maximized the rpm's of all the fans. Although a bit noisy, I managed to bring the cpu temp to about 37, and core temps. to 54-55 when idle. After running TAT for about 10 minutes however, the core temps. still rose to 74 degrees (by the way speedfan says 1st core is at 83, but both Everest and TAT say it is around 75). Guess I have to get some quieter fans :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You should have your RAM in the matching colour slots to run in dual-channel mode, goes faster :wave:

How do you find that PSU? I noticed the fan on it is running very fast, it would be loud as... I recommend upgrading to something like this. You might be surprised at how much difference this could make... :)

fevkalbeser

fevkalbeser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
@FPVDriF6
Thanks for the advice, I changed the slots, let's see if it goes faster :)
Interestingly the PSU fan is extremely quiet compared to its RPM :wave: However one of the case fans always runs at full speed, making most of the noise. I couldn't change its speed using speedfan, despite being able to change that of the other. The one with the consant speed is connected to the power fan pins on the mobo and the other to the system fan pins. Is this the reason I can't change it?

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Another tip:
Have it so both fans pull air out of the case. Because what is happening is the "IN" fan is pushing air in and the "OUT" fan is just sucking up most of that cool air that did not make it to cool any of the components. Since they are so close to each other make them both suck air out and new cool air will just come in through the vents and holes.

Edit: Yes, that is the reason.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_003011.jpg

Edited by jackflash1991, 26 September 2007 - 07:25 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I dug up an old topic of mine on the same subject. http://www.geekstogo...ot-t150895.html. Jack123's response was excellent.

Edited by Titan8990, 27 September 2007 - 02:20 AM.