Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8 Years and Still Don't Understand E-mail

• Please log in to reply

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Coming up on October and I'm faced with paying for spam protection. Why should I?

I have used Prism Email for years. At first it was free. As my email address is all over the web, it got to be too much and now I'm charged for it.

Here's an example of how much spam I get:

Statistics from Prism Email for this year only:

Prism email this year:

71,527 spams caught.

You can see the problem. I have to go online to Prism Email 10 times a day to delete the spam. Most of it doesn't reach my OE email, but enough does. And some that doesn't reach OE is not spam at all, so it's important to check online so I can download good mail when they catch it as spam. I can do only so much with Bayesian/Statistical, white-list and black-list at Prism Email.

Much worse is that I really don't understand email. As it is now, my POP3 and SMTP shows as prismemail.com. If I were to use my hosting co. it would be different and the spam would overwhelm me. I've tried that. And I know I can change my email address, but cannot do that with my primary email address as I've had it for all these years and people know that email to get in touch with me. It's all very confusing to me.

Question: is there a way, or a spam filter you would recommend that will do what Prism Email does [they really are pretty good--in fact I would recommend them for those who don't have web sites and their email all over the web. Works great for my wife, and the little she gets is still free from Prism Email.] but without the cost?

Recommendations much appreciated. :) Thank you.

Edited by Robert Tracy, 24 September 2007 - 08:52 AM.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the spam problem you are experiencing. It certainly sounds as though this is a big headache, and more and more of us are suffering from unsolicited/undesirable email these days so you have our sympathy

There are a lot of good applications that will help you with the problem. A good search engine will give some suggestions, however in view of the size of the problem and the fact that your email address has been published extensively on the web, it may be time for you to reconsider using a new email address that you release only to those folks you feel you can rely upon to use it appropriately.

This is easy to set up, solves the problem at a stroke (providing you are really careful in selecting those reliable folks who you make aware of your new address.) It also gives you the opportunity to keep in touch (with a standard advice message) sent to all your reliable contacts identified perhaps with the help of your "sifted" contact lists/address books.

Most Internet Service Providers will be happy to provide you with a number of email addresses. You can also set up a
"more disposable" email address to use specifically where you suspect that possibly the address may not be used appropriately, but nevertheless where an email address is insisted upon.
Regards
paws

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Hello paws!

Thank you for your informative, intelligent reply.

I think I've been looking for magic. I know I have to leave my old email. :) It's been my email since I bought my first computer in 1998 and I've kept it through thick and thin. It's a small job to go to all my web sites and replace it with a new email. And let my friends know of the new email. Just putting off the inevitable.

Thank you for the encouragement.

:wave: